Grief and Trauma

~11 Years Ago~

"Hey, prima. Watch this!" little Camilo said, grinning mischievously. He snuck up behind Isabela, who was gliding gracefully around the Casita, decorating the walls with roses. He then shape-shifted into her and started mimicking her every movement. Little Mirabel covered her mouth with her tiny hands trying to hold back her laughter as she watched them. Isabela noticed Camilo behind her and stopped what she was doing to put her hands on her hips. "Cut it out, Camilo," she said, angrily. Camilo put his hands on his own hips. "Cut it out, Camilo!" he said, matching her tone.

"SHUT UP!" Isabela shouted.

"SHUT UP!" Camilo shouted back.

Mirabel was fighting to hold back her laughter.

Isabela snarled at him. "I'm warning you! If you don't stop-," she said.

"What are you gonna do? Throw rose petals at me?" Camilo asked, mockingly.

With the flick of her wrist, Isabela conjured a flowery vine that wrapped itself around Camilo's ankle and hoisted him into the air, upside down.

"Hey!" Camilo shouted.

Isabela smirked. "I did warn you!" she said.

Camilo then transformed into a full-sized version of his father. His now big ankle made the vine snap and he fell to the ground on his head. "OUCH!" he exclaimed. He transformed back into himself, rubbing his head as he sat up.

"Serves you right!" Isabela said, folding her arms.

At that moment, Alma appeared.

"Isabela!" she said, disapprovingly. "Estoy sorprendida! That kind of behavior is not like you at all! And Camilo, it's hardly been over two months since you've gotten your Gift. How many times do I have to tell you not to shapeshift into something too big for you to handle?"

Camilo stood up, still rubbing the back of his head. "Sorry, Abuela," he said.

Isabela straightened up with her hands together in front of her and said, "I'm sorry, Abuela."

Alma looked at both of them and said sternly, "The guests will be arriving any minute now for the ceremony! The place must be perfect and ready. As Madrigals, you need to set a good example! Do you understand?"

"Yes, Abuela," said Isabela and Camilo together.

Alma then turned to see Mirabel in her little, white dress and gave her a warm smile. "Oh, there you are. It's almost time! Come!" she said kindly, taking Mirabel's tiny hand. "To the nursery. I have something to show you before everything begins, mi Vida."

~Present~

Camilo sat on the steps with his arms wrapped tightly around his knees. Dolores sat right beside him, shaken. While Luisa was carrying a fainted Alma into the kitchen, Pepa and the others interrogated Camilo about what had happened. When Camilo confessed that he transformed into Pedro, his mom was so livid that she got everybody wet from her storm cloud.

"YOU'RE LUCKY IT'S NOT A HURRICANE!" she exclaimed, loudly.

Now, she was pacing back and forth, clutching Antonio in her arms. Her cloud followed her every which way she went. Félix and Agustín were standing next to one another with their backs against the wall outside of the kitchen. Mirabel, Isabela, and Luisa huddled together. Mirabel looked like she was about to cry. Bruno was standing at the foot of the stairs where Dolores and Camilo were, looking down at the floor with worry.