Hanna's Break Down

When Cal did not return, Agustín and Mrs. Engel went to look for him. They walked out of the Casita in the direction he had left, only to discover he was nowhere to be found. The rest of the group followed outside. Agustín then turned to Dolores.

"Can you hear him?" he asked. "Where is he?"

Dolores lifted an ear and said, "He's back inside their house. In his study room."

"Is...he alright?" Mrs. Engel asked her, hesitantly.

Dolores shook her head. "He doesn't sound so good," she said, sadly.

Mrs. Engel looked at Agustín. "Sorry to cut this so short. But we need to go," she said.

"I can come with you!" Agustín said, feeling guilty.

"No," said Mrs. Engel, holding up a hand. "That's okay."

Agustín looked concerningly at her.

"I'll handle this," Mrs. Engel assured him. "Thank you for tonight. It... was truly a lovely time. Girls, let's go."

Amalia and Hanna followed her with no hesitation. Hanna looked over her shoulder at Camilo who stood there, watching hopelessly from Mirabel's side. Hanna gave him a sorrowful look before turning around to catch up with her mother and sister.

The sky was already beginning to turn dark as Mrs. Engel strode down the trail with her daughters at her heels. They didn't speak a word to one another the whole way as they made it to the front steps of their house. Mrs. Engel opened the door and slowly walked inside with Amalia and Hanna still right behind her. She then turned around to look at them and said, "I'm gonna go check on your father. In the meantime, just...don't come near the study. You understand?"

"Mom?" Hanna asked.

"I mean it, Hanna," Mrs. Engel said in a serious tone. "Just let me handle it."

Amalia put a hand on Hanna's shoulder. Hanna looked up to see her give a look that told her to just do what their mother said.

"Okay," said Hanna, quietly.

Mrs. Engel turned to walk down the hall and into the study. Hanna heard a door closing.

When the two of them were left alone in the living room, Hanna looked at her sister again and asked, "Did you know?"

Amalia shook her head. "No," she said. "He didn't tell Mother. Why on earth would he tell me?"

"Because you're...," Hanna began to say. But she sighed and ended with, "Never mind."

"Let's not discuss it further," said Amalia.

"What should we talk about?" Hanna asked.

"Well,...there is that 'Gifted family!'" said Amalia, quietly. "You see? I was right! I knew there was something they were keeping secret!"

"Yeah! You were right!" said Hanna, hoping her surprised voice sounded convincing enough. "What did you think of their powers?" she asked. "Pretty amazing, huh?"

"It was...incredible," said Amalia in agreement. "I mean, I knew Luisa was strong, but I didn't know she was that strong! And...the uncle? He can see the future! And then there was weather control! Talking to animals! It was unbelievable!"

Hanna hesitated. "What did you think of Isabela's Gift?" she asked, curiously.

Amalia paused. "It suits her...I guess," she said, thoughtfully.

"Yeah," said Hanna. She then tried the question she had been itching to ask most. "And...what did you think of Camilo?" she asked.

Another pause.