Influence

Camilo and Mirabel walked quickly along the trail from Casita, only to come to an abrupt halt as they approached the edge of town. The sound of a violin could be heard coming from the square. Camilo and Mirabel looked at each other for a moment before heading towards the sound of the music. When they approached the square, they saw a large crowd gathered around the church steps. Isabela and Luisa could be spotted on the left side while Mrs. Engel, Alma, and Agustín were on the right. Camilo stood at the very back of the crowd craning his neck to see what was going on and found Hanna standing at the front with her back towards him. He immediately pushed his way passed the people to stand right next to her. Hanna looked up at him and her face broke into a smile. "Hey," she said, blushing slightly.

"Hey," Camilo said, smiling back at her.

Mirabel caught up to them and stood on the other side of Hanna. "Hola," she said in a friendly voice.

Hanna looked over at her. "Oh! Um... Hi," she said, taken aback.

The three of them turned their gaze to the display in front of them. There, stood Amalia on the church steps. Her eyes were closed, and her fingers were dancing feverishly on the strings of her violin as she moved her bow effortlessly with every Ricochet, Legato, and Sautillé. Cal was standing at the foot of the steps on Amalia's left with his arms folded and slightly nodding his head at the crowd with a prideful look on his face. The people in the village stared in complete awe as Amalia continued to play flawlessly. Isabela was also looking impressed by the performance.

"Wow! She is incredible! Isn't she?" said Senora Pezmuerto.

"Magnifico," Osvaldo said, nodding his head in agreement.

"I heard her father say that she held her first concert at the age of twelve! In front of hundreds of people, no less!" said Cecilia's dad.

The whole crowd was murmuring in amazement.

Hanna was the only one staring at Amalia without looking impressed. She had poured her heart and soul into her quena performance on those steps, only to have it be cast into shadow by her sister's glowing perfection. She was being outshined. Camilo, who noticed Hanna's expression, took her hand and held it tightly. Hanna looked up at him and smiled again. She tightened her grip on his hand before looking back at Amalia. Mirabel, who saw them holding hands, gave Camilo a warning look. But he shook his head at her, refusing to let go. Instead, he moved to stand behind Osvaldo so that he and their linked hands were obscured from view.

After one long crescendo, Amalia lifted her bow from her violin, and the music fell silent. The crowd then erupted into loud applause.

Cal addressed them. "You see that, everyone? Now that is talent!" he boasted.

As Cal continued to gloat, Amalia looked around and spotted Hanna in the crowd. But when Amalia saw Mirabel standing right next to her, her expression turned into a scowl. Mirabel smiled, awkwardly back at her. Isabela and Luisa exchanged looks of concern as Amalia continued to glare in their sister's direction.

Agustin approached the steps, still clapping his hands. "That was certainly brilliant," he said kindly to Amalia.

She looked over at him. "Thank you," she said, politely.

"Oh, you haven't heard anything just yet, compadre!" said Cal. "In fact, I think this crowd would like to hear more!" He then turned towards the crowd again and asked them, "Am I right?"

The crowd interjected in agreement. "Las bis! Las bis! Las bis!" they chanted.

Amalia obliged with a curtsy, raised her bow to her violin, and began to play once more.