Amalia and the Anole

Hanna walked up to the summer house and as soon as she was inside, she softly closed the door.

"Finally!" said a quiet but exasperated voice.

Amalia had stopped pacing the living room floor to see Hanna come in. Their mother was sitting on the sofa with a cup of tea in her hands. She breathed a little sigh of relief to see Hanna back.

"I was just about to go out there looking for you!" Amalia said to her sister.

"I'm sorry," Hanna said, turning to see Amalia's worried face.

"What were you doing out there?" Amalia asked, trying to keep her voice down.

"Nothing," Hanna answered. "I just... lost track of the time, that's all."

"And you were at the church until nighttime?" Amalia asked, skeptically.

Hanna paused before she answered. "I was there for a while, but Cami-I mean...Mirabel also wanted to show me around the Encanto. So..." She trailed off.

Amalia kept looking at Hanna, suspiciously.

"You didn't even show up for dinner," Mrs. Engel said. "Are you hungry?"

"No, Mother," Hanna answered. "We met up with Julieta and she gave us food."

"Oh, Mirabel's mother?" Mrs. Engel asked, curiously. "Well, she was very nice."

Hanna smiled weakly at her mother and nodded in agreement. She then looked around the house and asked, "Where's Father?"

"He already went to sleep," Amalia said.

Hanna sighed and looked down at the floor.

"You should get to bed too, Hanna," Mrs. Engel said, getting up and setting her tea down on the table in front of her.

"Yes, Mother. Goodnight," Hanna said. She crossed the entrance room to the stairs. As soon as she was up in her bedroom, however, Amalia had also walked in and shut the door behind her. Hanna turned around to see her standing with her arms folded.

"What is it, Lia?" Hanna asked.

Amalia didn't answer right away but continued to stare at Hanna. She asked, "So, you and Mirabel are friends now?"

"Um...I guess you can say that," Hanna said, looking at Amalia, curiously. "Aren't you friends with her sisters?"

"Hardly," Amalia said. "I only just talked to them for one night."

"Well, maybe you should talk to them more. They seem harmless to me," Hanna said while shrugging. She sat down at her vanity and started brushing her hair. She could see Amalia standing on the other side of the room in her mirror. Amalia looked at Hanna's reflection.

"Hanna?" she asked.

"Hm?" Hanna replied.

"Doesn't that family seem...strange to you?" Amalia asked.

Hanna stopped brushing her hair and looked at her sister in the mirror. "They do live in a magical house in a magical land. I'd say that is pretty strange," she said, bewildered by her question.

"But you know what I mean," Amalia said. "Something about them doesn't seem entirely...human."

Hanna turned around to look at her directly this time.

"I mean, you've seen Luisa, right? The big, tall girl?" Amalia asked her.

"Luisa?" Hanna asked. "She is probably just incredibly fit! There's nothing strange about that! Is there?"