The Date (Part 1)

By late afternoon the next day, the sky was blue and cloudless. Hanna had brought out her Andean quena from her closet and was now sitting on her bed, silently going over the placing of her fingers on the holes, careful not to make a sound. She had her window open, letting the fresh air into her room. Her curtains were gently billowing in the warm breeze. As she sat there, she wondered if Camilo's mother, Pepa, was particularly happy today. For one reason or another, Hanna didn't think too much of it when Camilo mentioned his mother's power of affecting the weather with her emotions. She was just so enchanted by Camilo's telling of the story. But now that she had this time to herself, she was thinking about it a lot. If the weather is like this when Pepa is happy, what if she was unhappy? What if someone made her angry? 'She probably could single-handedly destroy the whole town!' Hanna thought to herself.

She was going through all the other Madrigal Gifts in her mind.

Antonio can talk to animals. 'That is just so cool!'

Julieta can heal people with food. 'No wonder there's no hospital in this town. That's crazy!'

Bruno could see visions of the future. 'Fascinating! I wonder how he does it. What kind of things has he seen? What would my future look like?'

Isabela can make plants grow on the very ground she walks upon. 'Like a fairy-tale princess. Of course, Lia would get along with her.'

Luisa had super strength. 'Strong and beautiful! She's fantastic!'

Mirabel didn't have a Gift, per se but she saved the miracle and brought the magic back to life. Camilo had mentioned a magic candle that was once the source of their miracle, but it was now gone. They didn't need it anymore, thanks to Mirabel. 'So maybe she's like the miracle itself in human form? It's no wonder everybody is so drawn to her.'

And then there was Camilo's sister, Dolores, who had super hearing. Hanna had hoped that she was quiet enough that Dolores didn't hear her whisper to Camilo about meeting up with her. It was the only reason she got so close to him that time. 'Oh gosh! I hope she didn't hear that.'

At that moment, Hanna saw a small pebble come flying onto the balcony in front of her open window with a clunking sound. "Hm?" Hanna said. She put her quena on the bed and walked outside. She looked down from her balcony and saw Mirabel standing on the other side of the river, waving and beckoning Hanna to come to join her. Hanna looked curiously at Mirabel for a moment, but then saw that she was carrying a very familiar-looking guitar on her back by a leather strap.

Then Mirabel winked at her.

Hanna's smile widened. She looked over her shoulder and then, with both hands, silently signaled for Mirabel to wait where she was. She grabbed her bag and quena and started sprinting quietly out of her room and down the stairs. She was just about to head out the door when she heard a voice from behind her.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" Amalia asked.

Hanna froze, then turned around to face her. "I'm just going to the church for a while," she said, casually.

"By yourself?" Amalia asked. "Do you want Mother or me to come with you?"

"NO!" Hanna said, immediately.

Amalia looked at her in surprise. "No?" she asked.

"No, because I...I'm going with Mirabel. She's waiting right outside," Hanna said, more calmly.

Amalia crossed the room to the window to see Mirabel standing there rocking back and forth on her heels, indeed waiting for someone. "Huh. I didn't know you even talked to her," she said.