Chapter 20 - There Will Be Brood

3rd Person POV

Sara throws the door of Constantine's mansion open as the Legends walk in with her. "Where the hell is Bishop?" She demands, looking at Constantine

"Sorry, what now?" Zari asks

"Bishop stole Rory's comms." Ava explains

"Cause he knew John was ripe for the picking." Nate says

"So he smooth-talked your boyfriend into springing him." Mick says. "Isn't that right, weasel?"

"Oh, don't you worry your pretty little heads about Bishop." Constantine says. "Everything's in hand."

"Uh, John, things feel decidedly not in hand right now." Gary says

"Do you know where Bishop is?" Zari asks. "Just tell us what happened. We can help you."

"How many times do I have to tell you I don't want your help?" Constantine growls at her

"I'm sorry, I'm... I'm confused." Zari stammers. "You said you wanted to start a new life sans evil magical potion. Do... do you remember that conversation we had?"

"Oh, yeah I remember." Constantine says. "You see, but I had a really good chin wag with Bishop, and then I finally saw the way forward."

"John, you have no idea how manipulative Bishop is, all right?" Sara says. "Please just tell us where he is before it's too late."

"He's promised to help me unlock the Fountain, and that is a promise that I intend to make him keep." Constantine says

"So you're just gonna turn your back on all of us?" Brooklyn asks, pulling Maddie closer to her chest

"Oh, let's be honest. I was never one of you, now, really, was I?" Constantine says. "A Legend. Nah, I'm a nasty piece of work, and I walk my path alone."

"John, this isn't like you." Gary tells him. "Deep down, I know you truly care about this team."

"Oh, come on, grow a pair, will you, Gary?" Constantine snaps. "I'm not that pathetic, little bastard that you used to know."

"Yeah, you keep saying that over and over again in different ways." Zari says. "He's... stalling." She realizes. She goes to slap Constantine but her hand goes right through him

"Ah! A ghost!" Mick exclaims

"Astral projection." Nate reasons. "He's not here."

"If he's not here, then..." Sara trails off, looking at Brooklyn

"The waverider." Sara and Brooklyn say at the same time

***

"Don't worry, we'll get John back." Nate tells Zari. "It'd be a lot easier if we had a time courier. Why do we even bother taking those things off?"
"Don't even." Ava tells him

"My eggs are gonna hatch without me." Mick states. "We need a plan."

"Actually, we do know somebody with a time ship that could help us." Sara says. "Gary!"

"Me?" Gary asks

"No, not you, dummy." Sara tells him. "Kayla. We need you to contact her."

"No. No, no, no, no." Gary says with a laugh. "That's a terrible idea. Are we taking a vote on this? I vote nay."

"Hey, Gary, listen to me." Zari tells him. "We need to stop John from doing something more colossally stupid than he already has. Go."

"Okay. If we really wanna get Kayla's attention, I have an idea." Gary says before running up the stairs. And then seconds later, he's back down the stairs. "This is how we do it."