chapter 2 | the family across the road

Darryl POV
Our family stared at the shop across the road as the van came in, the vehicle paused for a moment as 4 people came out. 2 parents, an adolescent girl and boy, they had black hair, one of them had brown. Last night they came over to visit the shop to finally move in (putting in their furniture and etc.)

"They look nice." My mother brought up, I turned around to see my fathers reaction, it clearly looked like he didn't agree. "Why would they open up across the road?!" My father shouts. "Shush they might hear you." Mason whispers, bring his pointing his finger to his lips re in acting a shushing motion.

I roll my eyes jokingly. My eyes kept still on the family not so far away, but every time I looked the young boy captured my eye. His caramel skin matched perfectly with his complexion, he wore small gold chains and a blue hoodie, followed by some baggy grey sweatpants. On his right was probably his sister, she had long brown hair and wore a pink shirt with some white shorts. I couldn't really see what their parents were wearing since it was to far away. I've always had a problem seeing things from a distance, they would be to blurry for me to see. I always told my mother about it as a child but she just shrugged it off I guess.

Seconds later the group of 4 walked into the store, we couldn't see them anymore from here. We all sighed and turned our backs away, "You can't talk to them ever kids, only your parents can." My father raised his tone. "But why?" My younger brother asks in his soft childish voice, "He's only trying to keep us safe Charlie." I explain. "Exactly." My father agrees with my statement.

"Come on kids let's head home, we don't open on saturdays." My mother says, we all nod and we walk back home. I turned around to look one more time, the family looked so happy, they were giggling and baking together. I wish my parents weren't so strict.

As soon as we got home I ran upstairs then into my shared room with my brother Mason, I sat on my bed and grabbed my remote. Turning on the television and flicking through the channels, there was nothing really to watch. I turned off teh television and decided to just watch the people walk past our house, I walked over to the window and brung my office chair. For hours I watched kids having fun with their friends, riding on skateboards and going shopping together. I think I also saw some couple making out on a bench, yuck.

My parents said I have to wait until I'm 20 to have a girlfriend, they also say woman don't want clumsy men. Which I don't entirely agree on, maybe they just haven't met one that doesn't actually care about clumsy people.

I started to get bored, we had nothing to do in the house. We had only two hours a week to have access to the television, we didn't have laptops either. For schoolwork we have to work in these cheap thrifted workbooks. Some pages are already used, years ago I got given one which had a very explicit drawing of a mens genital drawn in the corner of a page.

I flinched back to reality as soon as my mother called us down for lunch, my brother Mason (who I didn't even know was in the same room as me at this time) ran downstairs first. I took my time going down, every dinner was the same. My father talk about the business and Charlie throws a fit about the food we were given, trust me. I would be angry about the food too if I got the chance to, we get served salad and a banana. That's it, my parents are super strict about what goes into our bodies, that's why we eat so healthy.

If I lived by myself I would be eating all of the pizza as I can, I get to live my own life! But that will have to wait, since my life is basically getting dictated by my two evil parents at the moment.

716 words