chapter 11 | stupid cute

Zak POV
My head rested in the cold wooden table. I was half asleep when I heard my teacher yell something "ZAK AHMED. ITS CLASS TIME NOT NAP TIME." She yells, my head perks up and my face turns red due to the embarrassment. "Sorry Ms.." I mumble, it's like I could taste the classmates trying to hold in their giggles. My teacher raises her eyebrow at me and turns back to the chalkboard, the chalk making a familiar scraping noise.

I'm supposed to meet with Darryl today. We were gonna go get some food at the new diner in town, I'm pretty excited about eating there since the whole theme is the 1980s.

Darryl and I both agreed for us to dress up 1980s too. I'm planning to pick out the clothes when I get home after being forced to eat some cold cafeteria food and solve some equations of numbers on a worksheet.

~~~

I wrapped a towel around my waist as soon as I hopped out of the shower, slicking my hair back and slipping on my black turtle neck, loose blue bottoms going with the outfit too. I tucked in the turtle neck into my pants and locked a brown leather belt right under my hips.

I sat at my desk and started to run my fingers through my hair, drying my hair with a smaller towel seconds later. "Gosh.. I really need a haircut." I mutter under my own breath "Whose the girl your going on a date on?" My sister Samira smirks. She finally got out of her emo phase this morning, she met a new dude, the guy she served at the bakery yesterday. "Samiraaa" I whine, "It's just that me and Darryl are going out to the new 1980s diner." I explain.

"So your gay?" She chuckles, I give her a death stare. "I'm just kidding Zak." Samira replies, leaving the room shortly after.

~~~

Suddenly his arm wraps around me. Now I'm blushing like a maniac.

"Your party was fun.." he speaks, breaking the awkward silence that's been going on for what seems like ages. "Yeah it was.. it says to turn right and we'll be there." I answer, looking down at my phone with had google maps open. I heard him respond with a small mhm.

Darryls wearing a white turtle neck, a forest green cardigan and some beige track pants.

~~~

The waiter guides us to an empty booth. Me and Darryl sits down as they handed us the menu; the floor were checkered pattern, black and white. While the walls and popcorn ceilings were just a simple white, their were neon signs placed all over the buildings interior.

I snap back to my thoughts and look at the menu. "What are you getting?" Darryl perks his head up at me, my eyes flutter over to him. "The crispy fries topped with melted cheese and beef.. you?" I reply "Just the chargrilled salad with extra chicken" Darryl smiles. "Your smile is so stupid," I roll my eyes playfully, I could heat Darryl getting quiet after that statement "Stupid cute." I giggle. Darryl's mood quickly rises.

A different waiter comes and takes our orders. "Some crispy fries with melted cheese and beef for me and a chargrilled salad with extra chicken for him." I inform, the waiter nods and walks away. "Excuse me Zak, I can talk for myself." Darryl teases. I decide to play along and act sorry  "Oh I'm sorry." I smirk, hiding my cheeky smile. "I was kiddinggg" he slurrs.

~~~

"The foods really good!" I exclaim, shoving another fry with cheese into my mouth. Darryl bites into the chicken and agrees.

~~~

Darryl POV
"Have you.. kissed anyone before?" Zak asks. "Yes, tons." I lie, thinking it's some sort of joke. "No really, have you?" He says in a more serious voice. "Why are you asking me this?" I tilt my head, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Well I don't know- I'm just wondering I guess." Zak stammers.

"Have you ever thought about me?"

I pause for a moment, trying to rethink about what he just said, gathering words to make a decent response. But I guess that didn't work because all I slipped out was a "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean.. have you ever thought about it" Zak speaks. "No." I reply truthfully. "Will you kiss me?" He asks all of a sudden, it was out of pocket.

-
-
-

"Bad idea, I mean- could you imagine? How weird that would be?" He chuckles, I awkwardly laugh along too.

- (omg that's inspired by a movie, I hope one of you knows what it is. Also the real one was about s3x but that's just weird.)

All of a sudden I flinch back to reality after feeling someone nudging my shoulder. "Darryl! Stop daydreaming, the diners closing." Zak exclaims. "Oh muffin! You scared me.." I pant, was I dreaming the whole time?

Zak grabs my hand and pulls me out of the diner, dropping me home on his way back.

839 words