chapter 7 | arcade

Darryl POV
I walked around the house with nothing to do, my mind was completely empty and my whole family went to go visit my grandparents Lulu and Joshua for 2 nights. The only reason why I wasn't invited was because someone responsible had to look after the bakery.

And obviously my parents had no one in mind so they chose me, their oldest child. But today I got a day off, bakery's in our area don't usually open on fridays.

Eventually my legs started to get sore, from walking in circles around the house until I collapsed to the floor. (which luckily didn't happen to me) so I finally stopped and gave myself a break, my parents didn't trust me with the television so they completely unplugged the television and hid it somewhere in the attic. Gosh. Didn't they think I was responsible just then?!

Suddenly I heard someone knock on the door. I decided to go open it since my family's was expecting some mail today. My fingers gripped into the doorknob as it slowly twisted to its right, it came to my surprise when I saw Zak. Ugh. "I told you not to come back!" I exclaim "I know! But I want to make it up to you.." he replies, his voice slowly fading as he finished. "Hm? How would you do that Zak Sack?" I cross my arms, I almost cringed to the nickname.

The brunette eyed adolescent holds out one of his hands. It revealing a folded yellow sticky note.

"Read it." He demands, but it was in more of a softer voice, I do as told and grab the piece of paper. My eyes trailed its way on the paper as I processed the hand written words carefully, "Arcade, Seriously? You want me to go with you to the arcade?" I scoff, is this a joke? "Yes yes! I'm serious, look. It's all on me." He answers.

I've never been to an arcade, I've just crossed past it a couple of times, it was full of different real life interactive games and retro neon lights. "Yeah sure I guess." I mutter under my breath in response, I wasn't allowed to leave the house.. But who cares! You only live once right?

~~~

I look at myself in the mirror, holding a blue polo shirt up to my chest, the clothing piece still hanging onto the hanger. "No, that doesn't match." I talk to myself. Throwing the shirt onto my bed with the rest of my unsuitable shirts to wear. "Gosh I have nothing to wear!" I whine, stomping my feet onto the carpeted ground like a sulky child.

After what felt like hours of choosing a shirt I finally found the perfect one, it was a white button up dress shirt with some baggy yet fancy black pants. "I like it." I smile at myself in the mirror, looking at my body. It's weird, I haven't seen myself dress this fancy since my uncles funeral. I tucked in my shirt and wrapped my belt around my waist. I took a deep breath and thought about some ways to spark up an awkward conversation.

I left the house with just my house keys and my flip phone both in my pocket. I had to meet Zak at his family's bakery, apparently their bakery's second floor was transformed into their home.

~~~

I knocked on the Ahmeds front door as I bit down my lip nervously. "Hi! Welcome." A woman spoke, which I'm guessing would be Zak's mother. "Hii!" I nervously wave. Both of us walking upstairs.

"Zak's coming down soon.." She explains, i nod. After minutes I was still seated on the couch holding a cup of tea, talking to some 52 year old lady about politics. Nodding to whatever she said that I wasn't listening too, I was practically begging for Zak to hurry up and come downstairs.

As soon as Zak's mother stopped talking about Donald Trump I heard footsteps leading its way downstairs. "Darryl." I hear someone call my name, my head turns around in my flash. It's Zak!

"Hey!" I reply, placing my cup of tea down on the coffee table and made my way to the taller. It became silent for awhile, we just stood their with intense eye contact. "Your uh- lip.. it's bleeding." He interrupted the silence. "Oh!" I shift back to reality, bringing my thumb to my lip, wiping my bottom lips blood. I must have bit to hard. "Should we go?" I ask him, trying my best to make this less embarrassing. "Yeah yeah of course." Zak responds.

The cold air blew into my face as we left the house. "Your dressed really fancy.. this isn't a date Darryl we're just hanging out." He jokes, "Of course. This is just my style." I reply. Covering up my mistake with words. "Oh well it's interesting.. in a good way of course!" He chuckles.

I look at Zak up and down, he was just wearing a white sweatshirt with some black sweatpants.

~~~

As me and Zak's tokens ran out we were exhausted. Both of our hands were occupied with matching duck plushies each Zak won for both of us at a claw machine. I was ready to leave until a particular thing caught my eye. Something I've seen in tv shows all the time.

"A photo booth!" I point. "Great idea!" Zak exclaims, we both run through the photo booths curtain. Seating ourself on the built in bench "Here. 4 photos for 2 sets." He says, pressing some buttons on the screen. He feeds this machine 5 dollars, I watched the machine slurp it all up. As it's finished taking it all in (a/n : 😟) a countdown started going off.

The machine spoke in a somewhat robotic voice "Get ready to pose! I'm 3, 2, 1!" Zak wraps his arm around me and holds up a peace sign, I just sat there all confused.

A click noise goes on.

Then again.

Then again.

Then for one more time. Until it was done. The machine starts printing the pictures and then the rectangular pictures  slides right out. We both take one each. "You look so confused!" Zak giggles, "Maybe because I am." I shrug truthfully. "At least we both look pretty." He smiles.

Pretty?

I blush, my face started to get heated. I hide my face with the sleeves of my shirt and giggle.

1073 words