chapter 19 | i wish he was my boyfriend

One day I'll make him mine,
And we'll be together all the time
We'll sit and watch the sun rise
And gaze into each other's eyes
And know that he knows
I know that he knows
That he wants to be my boyfriend

Zak POV (beautiful song lol, the songs based of this chapter)
Darryl says we can't meet anymore, I don't know why but at least we still get to see each other, just not like.. you know — hang out with each other. I was planning to go watch the sunrise with him this week, maybe get to see if his hair changes colour in the sun. That'll be a nice view..

My eyes flicker to the bakery across the road, some girl with long brunette hair and a pink jumper is talking to Darryl. I lean against the front counter waiting for a customer to come by — but yet no luck. Darryl is smiling while she's doing all the talking, Darryls nods time to time then finally gets her sourdough bread. I can barely make out what they are saying but with my slight lip reading skills she thanks him with a "thank you" before leaving the bakery. Jealous, me! What! Never.

Darryl then looks at me and smiles, waving. I wave back.

I see Darryl pul out his phone from the pocket of his apron, he then starts typing something. My phone suddenly makes a sound. Ping!

Darryl :
Hii

You :
What's with the 2 i's? someone's in a good mood,

Darryl :
Hehe yea I am

You :
Get back to work, I see someone walk towards your shop.

I look back up at him and he mouths a quick "thank you." our family's bakery's are only a few metres apart, so it's easy to see what's going on.

As my eyes slowly opened and closed, opened and closed with tiredness; I was able to stay awake, I had to work 5 hours today. I barely had any time to sleep since of continuous stressing of my math finals. I sniffle and look up to see someone walking through the door, a customer. "Hey welcome to the Ahmed bakery how can I help you." I immediately stand up, I obviously sound tired. "Zak?" The customer calls out, this instantly catches my attention.

"Do I know you?" I ask, I look at them but I still can't figure out who they are. "You probably don't know me but I'm in your chemistry class.." The customer calls out, he has brown hair and wears glasses, just like Darryl. Except he looks completely different, "Name?" I lean in closer. "Antfrost.. or just Ant or Frost I don't care." "Oh your that one kid who sits in the back of the classroom, your partners with.. Carolina, is it?" I jumble up my words. "Cara." He corrects me, i nod.

"Can I just get that red velvet cake? Just a slice thank you." Antfrost asks. "Yeah sure," I grab my gloves and pull out a brown paper bag, grabbing a jam donut from the glass cage. I look at the price tag "3.50"

"Suree give me a second.." he mumbles. I shift side to side using my feet patiently. "Here." The short haired brunette speaks, holding out $3.50. I hand him the paper bag and then he walks away, before he leaves the bakery I quickly speak up about an idea I had in mind. "You don't mind if we become friends right?" I ask, "Yeah sure totally! Come sit with us at school, you'll know where to find us." He replies, us?

I look at the bakery patch to see it was now closed, I check my watch and it's now 6:30pm. We close at 6:25pm.

I take off my apron and stuff it somewhere in a drawer. I take off my gloves and throw them in the bin.

~~~

When I arrive home I enter my bedroom, I need to get myself out of these dirty, sweaty clothes. I grab a pair of new boxers, black pyjama pants and a purple t-shirt. I slip off my shirt then I slip off my pants, slipping off my boxers after. I chuck these garments into my laundry baskets right across the room, I then grab my home clothes and walk to my bathroom, I grab a towel and my shampoo.

I step into the shower and close the curtain. I let the water adjust to the temperature, I prefer it to be warm but more on the hot side. When it's finally ready I lean down slightly for my hair to get soaked.

~~~

I step out of the shower with my hair soaked up with water, water droplets moving slowly down from my hair to my feet. (goodbye I can't write shower scenes 😭) I dry my hair with the towel and then I wrap the towel around my waist, I quickly change into my new fresh clothes.

~~~

I sat at my kitchen island snacking on a slice of strawberry cheesecake my mom made. It's delicious. I had nothing else to do but watch the stray dogs make out the 124th time today, yuck when will they stop?!

I pick up my phone and click on Darryls contact, but it went straight to voicemail. "Hey it's Zak, uhm call back when you can, see you!" I exclaim, I hope he gets back to me quick.

I wish he was my boyfriend, but instead he's just a friend.