VIII

I don't bother sleeping for the rest of the early morning. Despite the deep topic of conversation, I'm in too much of a good mood.

I'll need it though, today I go shopping with belly and the moms for her summer dress for the debutante lunch. I haven't even accepted the invitation yet , unlike belly. I'm still conflicted. It's definitely not my scene, but I want to do this for Susannah.
I don't know if I'll regret it later, but in my overly positive mood, I tick the 'attending' box on the card.
I'm sitting the kitchen as to not wake anyone up, (mainly Jeremiah because oh my god is he groggy when he doesn't get his full 8 hours), when belly runs past.
"Woah" I laugh. I don't think I've ever seen her move so fast. What's gotten into her?
It's like she can read my thoughts, because she answers;
"Meeting someone. Boat. Going to be late" she jumbles, out of breath. she seems like shes happy too. or maybe im just joyous enough that its started affecting my outlook on life.

im guessing there is an unspoken census on the waking time in the house, because as belly leaves, conrad enters the house, jeremiah and susannah make their way down the stairs, followed shortly after by laurel. As Conrad passes we share a smile that makes me miss the early morning we shared only a little while ago.

"aaahhh!" susannah screams exitedly bouncing round the kitchen, "both my babies are gonna be debs!" she finishes, noting the country club slip on the countertop. i smile and laugh back in response as she slides over to me to pull me into an embrace.

-

"i look like a marshmallow" i chuckle as i come out of the dressing room, sporting a white puffy ballgown. i flop onto a seated laurel in mock exasperation, exaggerating my movements.  the dress trials continue to prove unsuccessful for what feels like an eternity. i try on my final dress before officially calling it quits. its a simple, slim fit gown covered in ivory lace and fitted with a lace up bodice. it hugs my figure delicately and fits perfectly.

"wow" susannah says in awe.

"you look beautiful" belly compliments as she too walks out the dressing room in her choice of dress.

"as do you" i return the kind comment. and she really does, she looks like a princess, i could only hope to look as least as half as good as she does.

"now its time to find your country club lunch outfits" susannah reminds, as we groan; tired out.