Cookie and Chocolate Chip

This summer Jeremiah and I have been volunteering at this camp program that is set up through the country club. We would work with a lot of eight year olds and they love us. Before I started this job I wasn't very fond of kids but now I've grown to really appreciate they're innocents and joy.

Right now was my quick break before we went on this walk through the woods for this nature thing so they could collect supplies for Fairy houses they're all gonna build. Before we went on the walk though, we where going to play at the park for a half hour, I decided to use my time to sit at the picnic table and admire Jeremiah laying down on the grass with the girls all circled around him talking to him all at once, did I mention they LOVE him but honestly I don't blame them.

I keep sneaking glances at Jeremiah until I see him starring back at me as a camper whispers into his ear oh God. Kids can see through anyone and surprisingly can pick up hints really quickly.

"Okay campers it's time to get ready for the walk! Make sure you guys get your buddies and you bags to collect the supplies for you fairy house!" I say yelling across the field to the big group of kids as they all start flocking towards me.

As we start the nature walk I have one of the campers run up to me. "Hey badger!" I say to the girl who was whispering to Jeremiah. Her real name isn't badger but when camp started we would all go around a circle and say an animal, hero or sweet we liked and that would be our camp nick name, like mine is cookie cause I like cookies and Jeres is chocolate chips cause he LOVES chocolate chips sometimes when I'd have a sleepover at his house I'd walk downstairs at 2 in the morning to get water and see Jeremiah munching on a bag of tollhouse chocolate chips.

"Hey Cookie, I just want to let you know that I ship you and chocolate chip, cause then you guys would make chocolate chip cookies!" She says giggling.

"I ship us too badger, you see cookie is my future wife, right cookie?" Jeremiah says popping up out of no where and wrapping his arm around my shoulder making me tense up.

"Uh yea sure chocolate chip." I say internally freaking out

"Good one badger, why don't you go back to your partner and keep collecting some things" I say letting out a nervous laugh.

"Okie dokie." She says skipping back into the line of kids.

Soon after a long time of walking we come to a clearing in the woods where we would have lunch, it was beautiful and filled with yellow, blue and pink wild flowers maybe even a splash of orange if you squint hard enough.

Everyone lays down a picnic blanket they brought in their backpack as they eat lunch with their buddies.

"You ship us huh?" I say taking a bite of my marshmallow fluff sandwich.

"Of course I do, why wouldn't I, your gorgeous sweet and funny, all the above." He says looking at me in the sweetest way possible.

"Oh stop." I say blushing and looking away from him.

"I'm being serious Y/N, I would rather have told you somewhere else but now that it's uh come up, I'd um really like to go on a date with you.. only if your cool with it, if your not that's totally fine no pressure." He says rambling a little while he continuously swirls his apple slice in peanut butter.

"I mean yea no, I'd really, really like that." I say looking up at him giving him a sweet smile and pulls me in.

"I cannot wait." He says kissing the top of my head.

*******

"And that's  how I met your father! Who knew a camper could really be such a relationship expert?!?" I say to my eldest daughter who just turned 5 years old just yesterday.