Chapter 3: Drama at lunch

Cale is dreaming. He's never had such a vivid dream before.

He hears the loud background noise- students chatting, loud laughter, the clinking of utensils, and the shuffling footsteps. He feels the clack of his boots against the polished floor as he walks through the busy cafeteria. The colours are bright as he moves through the crowd, heading over to join the queue to get food when...

Someone bumps into him from behind.

Hot fluid covers his hair and soaks through the shoulders of his uniform.

He hears the loud clatter as metal utensils hit the ground. Then, he hears...

"Oops. My hand slipped."

...

Cale wakes up to the annoying jingle playing over the intercom. He squirms in bed, groaning as he throws an arm across his bleary eyes. What the hell was that shitty dream? It's a terrible way to start the day. He's incredibly tired since he spent the whole of yesterday night writing out all the events and details he remembers about the game.

Soon, the intercom crackles to life and the same cheerful voice from yesterday morning starts to speak. Cale grimaces at the sheer volume of it. It's obviously meant to serve as an alarm clock.

"Good morning everyone! How was your first day at school? I hope you've made new friends and formed new relationships. Cherish these bonds throughout your school years, and they will be the treasures of a lifetime. Please get ready for classes. It's time to seize the day and make it yours!"

Cale pulls the blanket up to his chin and goes back to sleep.

...

By the time he wakes up, it's time for lunch.

He slouches as he walks, uncaring of the 'proper' posture and etiquette a noble should have. Yawning, he steps into the cafeteria. The bright lights, loud noises of background conversation...

This feels like a really intense case of deja vu.

With a sinking heart, Cale continues to walk towards the queue.

It won't happen, right?

Someone, or something, bumps into him from behind. Hot soup and food rain down on him, soaking his red hair and his brand new uniform. The metal tray clatters loudly when it falls by his feet, along with the bowls and utensils.

The chatter in the cafeteria stills.

"Oops. My hand slipped."

Goddammit.

Cale turns to see a student with beautiful blond hair, green eyes, and a devious smirk - the smirk quickly shifts to a gentle and noble smile.

It's Venion Stan, the heir of Marquis Stan. The psychopathic small fry, bad guy character in the game with a horrid backstory. He's a man who treats servants like slaves and animals like toys, even crippling his own older brother to take over the position as the heir. In front of the public though, he appears as an immaculately dressed noble with elegant dignity and poise. In the game, he always picked a bone with poor scholarship students (like Mary and Choi Han) who 'dirtied the academy'.

Next to him, Neo Tolz is sniggering. He must've sucked up to Venion and asked him to teach Cale a lesson.

"Hah..." Cale sighs, sweeping back his dripping wet fringe. Bits of potato and beef fall to the ground as he does so.

Really? Dumping food over his head? It's almost cute, how cliche they are. It feels like he's back in high school. Kim Rok Soo has dealt with situations like this dozens of times. It'll take more than this to rattle and humiliate him. Still, being the center of attention in a crowd of strangers is quite annoying, especially when they're all waiting for his reaction, expecting him to throw a tantrum.