Chapter 12: Danger on a moonlit night

A/N: This chapter took a while because I had to write it from scratch since I didn't originally intend for Clopeh to appear so early. Also, I had to resolve multiple plotholes when I wrote this :')

It was very tempting to title this chapter 'The Clopeh Chapter'.

Special thanks to Oli and ambrose for helping me with the characterisation of Clopeh when I asked for help on Twitter!

-------------------------------------------------

When Cale meets Beacrox the next morning, he's utterly and completely flabbergasted. He tries not to show his shock as he stares at Beacrox.

The affection rating above Beacrox's head has risen to a bright 17%.

What the hell happened during the short time they've spent apart?

Beacrox doesn't pay him any mind, however, and he works hard to help his father load the carriages. There are a lot of things to bring back to the academy with Cale's entire wardrobe and a whole room of gold. Cale doesn't step in to help. The firstborn son of the Henituses just lazes around, watching the servants move busily. Being a noble sure is great.

"Ahem, Cale."

Cale turns around when his name is called, and he comes face to face with two of the Henituses.

His father and his brother have come to send him off, even though he's setting off bright and early in the morning just to avoid everyone else. The sun has barely risen, and the estate is covered by dim light. There's still enough light to make out their expressions though, and Deruth looks like he's already missing Cale.

"I've ordered more knights to escort you, Cale. You have nothing to worry about," Count Deruth promises. He pats Cale's shoulder with incredible gentleness. "Make sure to eat well at the academy. It's fine if you're not good at your studies, but you have to take good care of your health. Understand? If you miss home, or if your health gets worse, you can come back."

Cale definitely plans to sleep well and eat well.

"Yes, father."

"Um..." Basen hesitates. Cale turns his attention to his brother, who's fiddling with his hands. It's very uncharacteristic of Basen, who usually behaves much more mature than peers of his age.

"Yes, Basen?" he prompts.

"Is it okay to write letters to you, hyungnim?"

Cale is surprised by the unexpected request. Basen looks up and sees his surprised expression. He immediately withdraws his words. "No, I'm sorry. You must be very busy at the academy. I won't bother you, hyungnim."

Busy? As if. Compared to Basen, who's taking his lessons to be the heir seriously, Cale is a complete joke. If everything goes according to Cale's plans, his life at the academy will be the complete opposite of busy.

"No. You can write to me if you want to."

It'll be good to maintain good relations with the future Count. His brother will probably ensure Cale lives well and eats well after he succeeds the County.

Basen perks up. A smile grows on his face. It's an expression much more fitting for his age. "Really?"

"Yep." Cale pats Basen's head. "Let me know if you want anything from the capital and I'll send it to you."

Basen looks the happiest Cale has ever seen him. He grins from ear to ear as he says gratefully, "Thank you, hyungnim."

Ron steps in at that moment with a smile and a slight bow. "Everything is ready, young master."