Chapter 8: This event shouldn't be happening

Author notes: omg fight scenes? Also, it's so hard to juggle so many characters in one scene, I feel like I'm herding them at a stage concert being like ALRIGHT, PLEASE GET OFF THE STAGE HAROL, YOU'RE UP NEXT ALBERU OKAY THAT'S THE END OF THE SONG, NEXT PERSON IS—

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the two kittens have just recovered, Cale lets them ride on his left and right shoulder as he heads back to the gathering spot for the afternoon class. They're not as heavy as he thought, but he supposes it's due to the lack of food they've had while growing up. The kittens will most likely start gaining weight soon.

On and Hong.

The two kittens contracted by Mary in the game had been able to use their bloodline abilities of fog and poison respectively. Since Cale has so little magical power within him, he doubts they'll be able to use their powers to their full capacity. A magical contract with a familiar was a two-way street. In exchange for mana (as well as food and shelter), familiars provided their loyalty and powers. Although Cale is sure he'll be able to meet the food and shelter criteria, his power is, well...

A small candle flame against a vast ocean.

It should be fine though. According to Choi Han, the afternoon activity is a simple exercise to collect herbs at the outer boundary of the forest. Although there are some wild animals, there are little to no monsters, and even if there are any, they're incredibly low level and can be felled by a standard human being with no magical powers through the use of a sword. As first years, they'll also be guided by a second-year partner.

In the original game, Toonka gets paired up with Mary for one of the outdoor monster hunting classes. In true typical himbo fashion, he doesn't get why there's an issue with using dark magic and necromancy and is attracted by Mary's strength. In fact, he's extremely excited to see their dead enemies become their allies.

"I'll kill more of them for you! Kahahaha! Our army will grow! We shall conquer the forest!"

How frightening.

Cale mildly wonders who he'll be paired up with. They reach the gathering spot right before the meeting time and it's already crowded. The field is full of paired up students, and before Cale and Choi Han can approach the instructor to ask about their partners, someone stands in their way.

"Looking forward to working with you, little partner!" Toonka grins, holding his hand out.

Cale sighs and grips Toonka's hand; his fingers barely touch the edges of Toonka's large hand. Toonka's hand is considerably bigger than his, so it almost looks more like a high five rather than a handshake. The cats meow in greetings as well, looking at Toonka curiously.

"Shake my hand gently," Cale reminds.

Toonka doesn't close his large hand. It's as though he's afraid the smallest force will shatter Cale's bones into ashes. He stares at Cale's pale and elegant hand in wonder. "Your hand is so small like a baby's!"

Cale has a decently sized hand, thank you very much. It's just that Toonka is huge in all aspects.

"Well, it's big enough for me to do all the things I have to do, so it's fine."

"You don't want to be the biggest and the bestest?" Toonka seems genuinely surprised by Cale's nonchalance. If he was as small and thin as Cale, he'd be trying his best to bulk up and grow larger so no one can look down on him or defeat him.

"Nope. Not everyone wants the same things, Toonka."

"Hmm... I don't really get it, but I volunteered to be your partner since I heard you're the weakest! You don't have to be scared of all the animals out there. I'll protect you from now on little buddy!"