Chapter 13: Secrets under falling snow (part 1)

A/N: I really like the chapter title for this chapter :3c Extra thanks to irene_purin, Stardom and patcat who supported me through tips on ko-fi! I will use it for self-care :D

Short chapter this time!

--------------------------------------------------------------

The trip back to the Roan academy is thankfully uneventful after the bandit attack. Their load has increased with Cale's improved wardrobe (courtesy of Ron's selections) as well as bags of gold from Count Deruth (honestly, they should invent credit cards, having so much money lying around seems dangerous).

The seasons have suddenly changed on the last day of their return journey, shifting from the colours of autumn to the white of winter. Cale orders his travelling companions to move his luggage back into his room, taking his sweet time walking back to the dorms as he enjoys the first snow.

The snowflakes fall gently as they dance in the air, looking soft like dandelion seeds as they cover the world in a blanket of white. Raon seems awed by the sight; it might be his first time seeing it.

The tiny specks of white are reflected in Raon's wide eyes.

"Are you cold?" Cale asks the children with him. It's good that his wardrobe is updated because he's now protected from the cold with a thick winter coat. The kittens pause to meow and shake their heads, then they resume happily hopping about as they leave paw prints in their wake. "What about you, Raon?"

"I'm a strong and mighty dragon. I don't feel cold!"

After hearing Raon's words, Cale takes off his red scarf and wraps it around the black dragon's neck. He's not sure if the child really doesn't feel cold or if it's just words of bravado. Either way, it's best Raon doesn't fall sick since Cale doesn't know how to take care of sick people.

"Don't catch a cold," Cale murmurs as he finishes tying the ribbon. Raon's eyes are round like saucers as he stares at Cale, who pats Raon's round head with a smile.

"I'm! I'm strong and mighty!" Raon repeats like a broken record, his wings and tail moving rapidly like he's greatly disturbed. "I, I will not lose to the cold!"

"Then that's good."

Cale breathes out slowly, watching his breaths appear as clouds of condensation. It's been a long time since he could enjoy the winter like this — has he ever enjoyed the winter? When he was a child, his house did not have any heating in place, so he had always been cold and miserable. When he became team leader Kim Rok Soo, battles in the winter were the hardest as the cold stiffened their joints and made it harder to move.

But now, it's peaceful.

He closes his eyes and soaks in the atmosphere, the quiet serenity of it all.

The silence is broken by a panicked and childish voice.

"Human, you can't fall asleep here! If you sleep here you'll freeze!"

"I know," Cale chuckles, opening his eyes again. Raon treats Cale like Cale's much younger than him sometimes. "Why aren't you playing with Hong and On?"

Raon humphed. "I have to be by your side."

Cale smiles. He pats the pouting dragon. "Then let's go toge—Achoo!" Cale sneezes and sniffles.

"Human! Are you cold? I forgot how weak you are!"

A surge of warm wind blows and surrounds Cale in an instant, enveloping him gently. It feels like he's sitting in front of a warm fireplace.