Chapter 15: Post-drinking clarity (part 1)

A/N: This chapter is brought to you with the support of Yass, Grace, justareader, and orcasensual! Thank you so much for the ko-fi tips. I appreciate the help with getting physiotherapy sessions!!

---------------------------

By the time Cale wakes up, the student council president is gone from his room. Choi Han and Paseton are still conked out on the ground, but they don't look uncomfortable. It should be warm enough since the fireplace fire is still strong. Still, Cale decides to cover them with his blanket. Maybe he can get them some breakfast; they'll likely be hungover when they wake up.

He washes up as quietly as he can and leaves the room without any of the children.

The early morning is much colder; the wind biting in its relentless chill. Cale tugs his scarf higher to cover as much of his face as possible without impeding his vision. It's a little hard to walk because his boots keep sinking into the loose and fluffy snow. If only he has Choi Han's wind powers. He'd be able to levitate his way across the courtyard without any issues.

"Oi, F-rank!"

Oh no.

He knows the owner of that voice.

Cale sighs and turns his head.

He blinks in surprise at the sight of the rock hurling toward him. He tries to dodge, but there's no need to; the rock suddenly twists and flies back at Neo Tolz with greater force than it had when thrown.

"Ack!"

A bead of blood drips slowly from the shallow cut across Neo's forehead.

"Hah!" An incredulous laugh escapes Cale's lips at the scene. He lifts his hand to touch the earring on his left ear. It's slightly warm, no doubt from the activation of protection magic. Alberu Crossman sure gave him a great magical item for self-defense.

"W-What? What was that!" Neo gasps, grasping his head in disbelief. "What did you do?"

"Hmm, who knows?" With the assurance of protection, Cale feels incredibly smug. It sure feels good to win. He taunts Neo with a grin. "Why don't you try it again?"

"Did you beg for magical artifacts from your father? What a coward!"

Why is using magical artifacts cowardly? Tools are made for people to use. Does Neo Tolz eat with his bare hands?

"How funny," Cale huffs, putting a hand on his hip. "Hey, money and influence are also forms of power. If you have a problem, go cry to your daddy."

When it comes to money, the Tolz family falls short of the Henituses by a heavy margin.

Hit by his sore spot, Neo's voice grows a few octaves as he yells, "Fuck you, you F-rank trash! I, I don't need cheats like that! I'll kill you with my own powers!"

Cale nods, patronizing. After facing a gang of bandits, Neo's threats are so pathetic it's almost cute.

"Yes, yes. I'm sure your D-rank powers are very powerful. You're the one bleeding, though."

Neo looks about ready to try and fight Cale for real. At that moment, there's a jingle being broadcasted throughout the school, signaling an announcement.

It's Rosalyn's voice for once. She sounds incredibly unhappy.

"Will first-year student Cale Henituse please proceed to the student council room? Please proceed to the student council room immediately."

Cale lifts an eyebrow. What, is Alberu able to sense whenever the magic is activated? It's within expectations, however. Cale knows there's no free lunch in the world. He wouldn't be surprised if this gift is actually used to keep track of Cale and keep him out of trouble.