Chapter 10: Cale, Raon, On, and Hong

A/N: Big thanks to all readers who left votes and comments!

Today's morning announcement by Alberu is submitted by a lovely anon on curiouscat. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Cale wakes up, his bed is surrounded by flowers. There are small and cute wildflowers that grow on the sides of the roads, but he also recognizes bright sunflowers, gorgeous roses, and lovely tulips... familiar flowers that should be growing in the school's gardens and along the walkways. When he sits up, petals fall from his hair, and he reaches up to feel a flower crown on his head. He takes it off for a better look — it's messily made, already coming apart, as though it's someone's first attempt at making it.

He glances to his side in the faint glow of dawn to see two slumbering creatures. The cats have curled up against one side of the bed. On's nose is twitching in her sleep, while Hong's limbs are slowly paddling in the air. Both are smiling — they must be having a nice dream. The black dragon is nowhere to be seen, but Cale can see the soft indentation on the bed and pillow, revealing the weight of the invisible dragon with its head resting on the edge of the pillow.

There's a new package on the bedside table, and Cale remembers with startling clarity that he had asked Beacrox for another sandwich and fell asleep before the chef returned. Shit, what if Beacrox was pissed off about it? Cale picks up the package with his fingers and it is surprisingly light — the children must have eaten it. That's good. This way, Beacrox will think that Cale had eaten it, and he shouldn't be angry, right?

Human?

Cale hums in reply, turning to look at Raon, who's once again visible. Raon yawns and wipes the sleep away from his eyes with a paw. He crawls over to Cale's side and rests his sleepy head on Cale's thigh. He looks up at his human and asks via telepathy,

Do you like the flowers?

They're nice flowers, although the ones from the school probably shouldn't have been plucked. Cale decides not to scold Raon over them. Raon must have spent a lot of time gathering them all, and he did it for Cale who mentioned he likes flowers because their scent helps him to sleep. It's a sweet gesture from a four-year-old child. It's fine, Cale decides, they can both be troublemakers. If it comes down to it, he'll just pay for the flowers. He pats Raon's head gently.

"I like them. I slept very well thanks to you."

Raon smiles, tail swishing slowly from side to side. He starts dozing off again on Cale's thigh as Cale pats his head. The curtains on the windows of the infirmary room flutter softly from the wind, and the slowly rising morning sun creates a soft, hazy ambience in the room. The lazy and calming atmosphere feels perfect for going back to sleep, but Cale has slept enough. It's nice, though. Peaceful. Cale closes his eyes and just sits there in the quiet, enjoying the serenity of it all.

He's not sure how much time passes, but a question breaks the silence.

"Is that... a baby dragon?"

Cale's eyelashes flutter as he opens his eyes. He turns his head to look at Paseton and puts a finger to his lips to signal to his friend to be quiet. Paseton nods to show his understanding.

"Yes, he's my familiar," Cale replies in a low whisper to not wake the children up. "He's four years old." He thinks of the way Raon keeps going invisible and adds, "Please keep it a secret."

"I will," Paseton promises. The volume of his voice is also soft. How can anyone say no to Cale's smile? He looks so fond as he pats the head of his familiar. "It suits you. A dragon familiar, I mean."