Six

A/N: A big thank you to everyone who has decided to keep following me down the rabbit hole with this AU story, I hope you're having as much fun reading it as I am writing it! Just a quick note at this point, that I'm following the book timeline at this point, where the beach party happens the week after the carnival, instead of what seems like the next day in the movie... So, instead of a party, we get the awkward delight of a Flynn-Evans Sunday lunch in this chapter. Enjoy!

Elle

Lunch isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Lee called me this morning, letting me know that Noah had clued him in and that he wasn't going to give anything away. I'm sitting between the two of them at the table, like so many times before, and it's almost like nothing has changed. Except, so much has. I'm hyper-aware of Noah's close proximity, and every time his leg or arm grazes mine, I can't help but agonize over it, wondering if he did it on purpose or if it was accidental.

At one point, when everyone else is busy with different conversations, Noah speaks to me under his breath, his hand landing on my knee under the table, squeezing gently.

"You need to calm down, Elle. Stop jiggling your leg."

I didn't even realize I was. Taking a deep breath, I run my hand through my hair, trying to make it look natural. "Okay, I'll try," I mutter, not daring to look at him.

His thumb rubs a tiny circle over my knee, before he squeezes again. As thrilling as this is, him touching me under the table, our parents none the wiser, I'm not sure I'm cut out for keeping this secret much longer. Mostly because I'm dying to touch him back, my fingers itching to trace their way along his forearm, to link my fingers through his. In the end, I settle for dropping my hand under the table, too, my palm sliding over the back of his hand, before my fingers grip his lightly.

Our food arrives then, and Noah squeezes my knee once more before removing his hand. I feel a bit bereft at the loss of contact, but before the disappointment can settle in my stomach, his leg presses against mine. Not risking another glance at him, I tuck into my meal, silently enjoying the warmth radiating from the spot where our legs are touching. Lee starts talking about the carnival, and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that I have a mouthful of food when June interrupts his rambling with a question.

"So, how did you kids go with the kissing booth?"

Noah barely hesitates before shoving another piece of steak into his mouth, obviously not about to provide an answer. I guess June's question is more aimed at Lee and I anyway, and I try to chew faster so I can speak, but suddenly my mouth is dry and I'm having trouble swallowing. My eyes flick to Lee, who jumps in quickly, saving us.

"Oh, it was awesome. Everyone loved it. It was so popular, we raised more money than all the other booths combined!"

"That's terrific," Matthew smiles and my dad nods, adding a "Well done, you two."

I smile back, taking a sip of water to help wash down my food before joining the conversation.

"Thanks. I was nervous nobody would buy tickets, but we had huge lines the whole time.

"Well, you should be proud," June smiles. "You guys put in a lot of effort."

"Yeah, well," Lee grimaces. "It's not over yet. Elle and I have to go back this afternoon to help pack up."

"Ugh," I groan. "Don't remind me. It's gonna take forever. I guess we should go right after lunch? Get it over and done with?"

"Yeah, I guess," he grumbles.

I'm about to take another bite of my salad when the deep voice to my right causes me to freeze,  fork in midair.

"I could help, if you want?"