Nine

Elle

The next morning I wake up late, and for a second I wonder if I dreamt all that last night. Did Noah actually crawl in through my window? Glancing over, I see it's open just a crack, but that still doesn't convince me. When I move to sit up though, my eyes register the ball of fabric in the bed next to me. It's not Noah's sweatshirt that I stole a week ago, although 'stole' probably isn't exactly the word I'd use, more like I forgot to give it back...

Regardless, it isn't the one he gave me to wear at the Hollywood sign, that one is nowhere to be seen. It's the hoodie he was wearing last night, and I realize he must've swapped them over after I fell asleep. The thought makes me smile a little, because I told him how much I like the way he smells, and in turn, he left me with the hoodie that had more of his scent still clinging to the fabric. Tough guy, my ass. Underneath all that leather jacket and combat boot-wearing crap, he's as soft as a marshmallow.

Not that I'd ever tell him that, of course. Well, maybe I would, just to annoy him. That thought makes me smirk, and I begin to wonder what his plans are for the day. Reaching over to grab my phone, I unlock it and send him a quick text.

Me: Morning. Just wanted to see if you're going to Warren's party?

I don't have to wait long for a response.

Noah: Morning, sleeping beauty

Me: Is that a dig about how late I slept in?

Noah: Maybe...

Me: Well my sleep was interrupted by some intruder who came in through the window...

Noah: Is that so?

Me: Uh huh. Besides, if I was actually Sleeping Beauty, I'd still be asleep, waiting for my Prince Charming to come wake me up with a kiss

Take that, Noah Flynn. 

His reply is quick.

Noah: That could be arranged...

Damn. He is good. Shaking off the mental image of Noah kissing me awake, I tap out a reply.

Me: Too late, I'm already awake. Besides, I have to go eat a gigantic breakfast

Noah: Yes. Do that. Now.

Me: Ok ok. You didn't answer my question tho

Noah: Warren's party. Maybe. Do you want to go?

Me: I was planning on it...

Noah: Then I'm going.

Me: Ok... I was gonna get a ride with Lee and Rachel

Noah: I could drive you, if you want me to

I get the sense that he's trying not to push, but I owe it to him to be brave.

Me: That'd be nice

Noah: Let me know what time. Now go eat breakfast!

Me: Fine! Going!

Grinning at his demand, I head downstairs, finding Dad and Brad sitting at the table out on the patio.

"Hey, bud," Dad smiles at me over his paper. "We made waffles."

"Awesome. I'm starving."

I put two on my plate and add strawberries and syrup, before tucking in. Oh, my God. This might just be the best breakfast I've ever tasted. But maybe that's because all I ate yesterday was a banana and a few bites of dinner that I barely remember.