Sixteen

A/N - Thanks for all the reading you guys have been doing, this book has just clocked over 5k reads! Apologies to anyone who's not here for the you know what, skip between the *** to skip the mature content.

Elle

It's a rare rainy day, the clouds hanging low in the sky, making everything feel smaller, compressed. Raindrops race down the window panes outside the classroom I'm sitting in and my thoughts wander as the teacher drones on, reading aloud from the text book. Of course my thoughts find their way to Noah, the way they usually do. The way they have even more frequently since last Wednesday...

I feel my cheeks heat with the direction those thoughts take and look down at the open book on the desk in front of me, letting my hair fall forward to hide my face. My phone vibrates once where it's sitting in my lap and I glance at the screen, smiling when I see that it's a text from Noah. Guess he's thinking about me too.

Noah: Cafeteria will be overrun today, meet me in front of the gym

Interesting. I mean, he's not wrong. On rainy days when everyone has to retreat inside at lunch, the cafeteria gets way too crowded, turning into something that pretty closely resembles feeding time at the zoo. The library will probably also be packed, which wouldn't leave much chance for Noah and I to remain undetected in our usual hiding spot.

Me: Okay... what r u up to?

Noah: Trust me, it'll be good 😉

There's that word again - good. My thighs press together involuntarily and any chance of me being able to refocus on the lesson evaporates with thoughts of what Noah might have planned. As soon as the bell rings, I'm out of my chair, waving goodbye over my shoulder at Lee and Rachel. A couple of minutes later I see Noah, leaning casually against one of the brick pillars along the walkway in front of the gym.

He's not looking directly my way, so I get a moment of unchecked observation. He looks like a freaking model, his long, lean frame posed lazily, arms folded across his chest so that his biceps stretch the fabric of his shirtsleeves taut. His dark, slightly too long hair is tousled, but in such a way that it looks cool, rather than messy. And then that face. Trademark, slightly bored looking expression, like he's taken in his surroundings and found nothing worth giving a second glance.

Then he spots me. And I get to watch his face shift in an instant, his features rearranging, eyes warming as his mouth stretches into a smile, disinterest morphing into happiness and excitement. Anticipation flows over my skin, leaving goosebumps in its wake, and then I'm there, Noah's arms pulling me against him, one large hand cupping the side of my face and jaw as he kisses me softly.

"Hi," he grins.

"Hi," I giggle. "So what's this all about then?"

Noah purses his lips. "I have an idea..."

"Yeah... I gathered that much."

Instead of saying anything more, he fishes something out of his pocket, holding out his palm to show me. A single key. It hits me. It's the key to the storeroom that he pocketed the day we came to pack up the booth after the carnival. I look up at his face, seeing the question there, the tinge of uncertainty that maybe I won't agree.

I find myself smiling at him, my head nodding slightly. Who am I kidding? I'm dying to find out what he has in store for us, I've spent the last three days thinking about everything we did on Monday, and the nights dreaming about what we might do the next time we get an opportunity to be alone. I hadn't exactly imagined that chance would happen on school property, but hey, that's also a little bit exciting too. If we were going to pick a day when we're least likely to get caught, it would be today. The rain's forced everyone inside, teachers and janitorial staff included. Nobody's going to be moving stuff in or out of the storeroom in this weather.