Nineteen

Noah
To say my birthday has taken an unexpected turn would be a massive understatement. Sure, things have been heading in that direction between Elle and I for a while now and we'd reached the point where it was probably more a case of when than if, but still... I hadn't considered that it might happen this afternoon or at the beach house for that matter, but I'm definitely glad that it did. We didn't have to rush or be quiet, and I could make it as good as possible for Elle.

We don't need to rush afterwards, either. Instead, we laze around together, kissing and talking quietly. Elle snuggles into me and we doze for a bit, relaxed and content. Eventually, I ask her what time we need to be home.

"What do you mean?" she asks, feigning innocence.

"I know about the party, Elle."

"What? How?"

"Lee. He always gets jumpy when he has a secret. And, I may have listened in to some phone calls..."

"Noah!"

"Was it really meant to be a surprise?" I laugh. "Is everyone going to hide and jump out when we turn the lights on?"

"Well, no, but still..."

"I'm happy about the party, Elle." I pause to qualify. "As long as there's not a theme... there isn't a theme, is there?"

"No," she giggles.

"No costumes?"

Elle shakes her head. "Nope, no costumes either."

"Then I'm happy."

"Okay, good."

By the time we get home, Lee pretty much has set everything up and ready to go. Mom and Dad make a swift exit soon after, with warnings to keep the music down later on and that sort of thing. Once the front door closes, I turn to face my brother.

"Sooo... do I need to go grab alcohol or...?"

"Oh, ye of little faith," Lee grins, shaking his head. "You can keep your fake ID in your wallet tonight. I've got it covered."

"Are you sure?"

"Uh huh. Elliot's got his brother hooking us up."

I smile, nodding. Elliot's a friend of mine, whose older brother goes to UCLA, and just so happens to work part time at a liquor store nearby. He's my usual go-to for all party related purchases, as Lee well knows.

"Alright, nice one."

"And he's coming early to bring it all. In fact..." Lee glances at the time on his phone. "He should be here in like 20 minutes."

"Cool. I'm gonna grab a quick shower then."

"No worries, I'll just put the last of the breakables in Dad's study and lock it."

"Nice." I start to walk away, then turn back to Lee again. "Hey, thanks man. For organizing all this, I mean."

"You're welcome, bro. But really it's Elle you should be thanking. She did most of the work, inviting people and everything."

"I'll be sure to show her my appreciation," I smirk and Lee makes a face.

"Eww, stop. I don't want to know."

Chuckling, I take the stairs two at a time, walking past the closed guest room door to my own room, shedding my clothes as I head towards the shower. Fifteen minutes later, I'm showered and dressed in fresh jeans and a black button down shirt with the sleeves rolled partway up, and my usual boots. I run a comb through my hair, spray on some cologne and I'm good to go.