Twenty-two

A/N: My goodness it's been a busy couple of weeks! I know I've been pretty absent, so please accept this chapter as both my apology and my birthday gift to you all! Jo x

Noah

"Wow," I exhale into Elle's hair where her head lolls against my shoulder. "That was..."

"Crazy?" she giggles into my neck.

"Yeah, it was definitely that," I chuckle. "But also kind of—"

"Incredible?"

"Uh huh," I agree, pressing a kiss to Elle's temple. "I guess we should go."

Right then, as if to reinforce my point, there's a hissing noise all around us.

Oh, shit.

"Elle! We need to go - now!"

Her head snaps up, recognition dawning in her eyes as we scramble to stand and sort out our clothing. But we're not quick enough and the first jets of water from the sprinklers hit us both, me in the chest and Elle across her back.

"Ah! Oh, my God!" Elle shrieks. "It's freezing!"

"Jesus! Come on," I yell, grabbing her by the hand and running straight to the edge of the field, dragging her along with me.

Luckily, there's not a huge area of grass between the goalpost and the outside track, but we're still both pretty much soaked by the time we make it to safety. Elle's clothes are plastered to her skin, her hair dripping wet. My legs took the worst of it, I can feel my feet squelching in wet socks, but my hoodie is semi-dry still. I peel it off and hand it to Elle, who takes it without a word of protest for once, pulling it on quickly.

She was right, the water was freezing cold, and the air temperature has definitely dropped now too. I pull the hood up over Elle's wet hair and bite my lip, trying not to laugh at how ridiculous this whole situation is. Then I hear a snort of laughter from below the hood and when Elle looks up at me, I lose it too. In no time, we're both howling with laughter, holding each other up, gasping for air.

"Oh, God! I can't!" Elle splutters.

"Your face..." I choke. "When you realized..."

"Shut up," she laughs. "I've never seen your eyes open that wide."

In time our chuckles subside, leaving Elle with her arms wrapped around my waist, while I cup her face between my hands.

"Was it still worth it?" I ask her quietly.

"Definitely," she giggles. "But tell anyone about it, any of it, and I'll kill you in your sleep."

I raise my eyebrows as another laugh escapes me. "Oh, really?"

"Uh huh," Elle grins. "Or at the very least, I'll shave off your eyebrows."

"You wouldn't," I mock-gasp.

"Oh, I absolutely would," she nods. "This stays as our little secret. Promise?"

Removing my right hand from her face, I use it to draw a cross over my heart. "I promise."

"Good. Now hurry up and kiss me before I turn into an ice cube."

Grinning, I shake my head as I bend to press my lips to hers. "Bossy little monster."

Elle kisses me back before replying, "Monster?"

Taking her hand again, I start walking in the direction of the hotel.

"You'd have to be a monster to shave off someone's eyebrows in their sleep, Elle."

"Yeah? Well, just you remember that before you go bragging to your buddies about how you scored on the field after the game tonight."