Eleven

Noah

My foam football bounces off the wall in front of me, and I reach out to catch it one handed before spinning around in my desk chair, finding Lee lurking near my door. I hadn't heard his arrival, thanks to the music blasting my ears through the noise-cancelling headphones I have on. Slipping them down to rest around my neck, I press pause, the room suddenly feeling very quiet. Raising an eyebrow at Lee, I wait.

"So..." he regards me carefully. "How is everything?"

Frowning, I reply. "Could you be a little more specific?"

Lee makes a face. "Could you be a little less obtuse?"

"I assume you mean Elle and not the general state of my mental health?"

He rolls his eyes, coming to sit on the edge of my bed. This is becoming a regular habit and I haven't decided how I feel about it yet.

"Yes, Elle. But if you want to discuss your mental state, we can do that too. Although, somehow, I suspect one influences the other pretty heavily."

"True," I grin wryly. "I'm guessing you haven't spoken to her yet this morning?"

"Nope," Lee shakes his head. "Just a couple of texts. She said she was busy doing homework... and I'm wondering if that's code for 'Noah and I broke up again after he acted like a crazy person and I don't want to think about it' or if you guys are okay and she really is just busy."

"We're okay, Lee. And thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Good," he exhales, visibly relieved. "You did kind of snap last night, though."

"I know," I sigh. "Don't worry, I've already been yelled at about it."

He chuckles. "Elle didn't let you get away with that, huh?"

"Not even a little bit. I'm working on it, okay? My temper. But part of me still thinks Warren deserved it. The guy's an asshole."

"Yeah, he can be," Lee nods.

I chew on my lip, wondering how much I should say to my brother. Screw it. If anyone will be on my side about this, it's him.

"The thing that gets me, is that he would never have said that shit about Elle, if it wasn't for me. If my... reputation hadn't impacted hers."

Lee leans forward, brows furrowing. "What do you mean?"

"Have you-- have you heard any of the guys saying stuff about her since the carnival?"

"Like what?"

"You know, like that she's easy, or whatever."

"What?!" his expression is outraged now. "Fuck no! Why would anyone say that about Elle? She's never even had a boyfriend before..." he trails off, understanding dawning in his eyes.

"Yeah," I nod. "I overheard some shit this week. Obviously people didn't mean for me to hear it, but yeah. They clearly assume we're... you know."

"Eww."

"Grow up," I frown, throwing the football back at him.

"Sorry, it's just a bit weird, thinking about you two--" Lee makes a face like he tasted something unpleasant.

"Well, you can stop thinking about it, because we're not."

I try not to take the look of relief that flickers across Lee's face personally.

"But everyone assumes you are?"

"Just the guys without enough brain cells."

"Oh, so the whole football team, then?" Lee snarks, and I wish I still had the football to throw at him.