Chapter 25: Crumbling

Katniss

The second I hear the soft melodic coo of his voice, I nearly choke out a sob.

"K-Katniss?" I let go of Rue, and turn to face him as the sturdy sky-blue eyes bore into my own. 

Within the next instant, Peeta's warm arms are looped around me, and my own are furiously swinging over his shoulders in the same relieved gesture. 

"I-I thought you were dead..." He says, trembling. "I was so worried. I-"

"Shut up. Shut up and kiss me."

He pulls back, stunned for a moment, but not for long before the space between our lips has sealed. The panic of losing him and the realization of just how much I need Peeta to keep me sane sets in, and it seeps through the soft cracks of our mouths as the warmth of his smile and protection beams from behind his own radiant grin. No one has ever meant something like this to me. It it not like Prim, I love her, she is family. But this is different. There is a tug, a want, a need. Nothing has ever been so beautifully wonderful yet frighting as the boy with the bread.

And as he pulls back to meet my eyes, the four words I have so timidly held back finally escape, and though they come out in a fury and heat of the moment, I mean ever one. 

"I love you, Peeta."

Eleanor

"Aw, dammit. I stepped in shit. Yup, that's definitely shit. Christ, I hate this place."

"And just like everything and everyone else, it hates you right back, Eleanor," Clove retorts, the black globes of her ponytail swinging in the darkness as we make our way through the tunnels. She is sure to keep a few steps ahead, Marvel and the other dark-haired boy I had seen get off the craft with her glued to either of her sides. Finnick, Gale, and Beetee lead the herd, navigating us down through the swallowing blackness as the smaller portion of the army trails behind. I can't help but scoff in disgust as Clove slides ahead of myself. No one swings their hips that much when they walk. Slut.  

I reposition the hand on my trident, the steady hum begging me to thrust it through her spine.           

"Shut up midget. Wouldn't want us to cut off one of your balls now would we?" Though I had meant her ponytail, a devilish grin tickles my cheeks. "Maybe I'll take Neanderthal's as well, seeing as he won't be using them."

"Oh, just give it a rest already. Everyone knows what a churlish, malevolent coxcomb you are. No need to prove them any further right."

"Kiss my ass, Cloverbelles. That is, if you can reach it."

"If it wouldn't waste the ammo, I'd shove my gun right down you fat throat and pull the trigger."

"Girls!" Finnick snaps. "Please! Stop with the petty fighting. There are far more important things we need to focus on other than your immature behavior."

Clove quiets, quickening her pace to stride further ahead of me. Bitch. She falls in line next to Beetee, Marvel hurriedly shuffling to catch up with her, though she fails to notice his presence.

I press against Cato, who for the lightest second flinches, but calms as he takes my hand in his. I look up at his face. He stares straight ahead as we walk, intentionally avoiding eye contact.

"Cato," I coo. 

He doesn't look down. "What."

"Don't be rude to me."

"I wasn't being rude," he barks, continuing to stare ahead. 

"Yes you were! And you still are!"