Chapter 31: Embrace

Athena

Breath, Athena.

Remember to breathe.

Half a dozen cells before us are filled with the tribute families. Gale and I remain hidden behind a crate in the storage facility in which the cells lie, their glass-like walls allowing us glimpses in at the hostages.The children are in different cells from the adults, family members are separated so that there is no comfort between husband and wife, or child to parent. Gale and I had successfully made our way into the building after a drunken but daring Cato had cleverly provided a distraction, although now the only concern I can process is deciphering in which of the cells will I be able to find my little sister.

The one closest to us holds several men, four to be exact, none of them looking rather excited with their roommates. The next over, I see, conceals five grown women, each looking more emaciated than the last. The last cell in the row is just beyond my field of vision.

I maneuver out from behind the crate and towards the end of the row, eyes anxiously on the lookout for peacekeepers. Gale and I had heard them on our way into the building, but had not yet seen one, which only causes my nerves to waver more.

But the coast is clear, and I make my way just into range of sight of the last cell. It's packed full with children: two older boys, two young blond girls, five hungry-eyed children who all bare the same dark skin, and lastly, hidden in the caring arms of one of the blond girls, the youngest. Only three years old, eyes bright and frightened like a midnight moon. Samantha.

None of them have yet to see me.

My heart seems to stop. She is alive. She is alive. She is alive. I tell myself it over and over again, in case the reality may cease without this confirmation of my thoughts.

"She's alive" I say quietly, unintentionally voicing my thoughts.

"They're all alive." Gale says in relief. "Still no word back from the troop."

Gale had called in for backup nearly an hour ago. We had yet to catch sight of them. My guess is that they are probably being held up by peacekeepers, if not dead.

I had started to wonder if President Coin knew that saving the families was suicidal, and had purposefully sent the tributes on the most dangerous missions, even though we had had the least amount of training. Why, I still wasn't sure, but I think maybe Coin sees us as a threat to her system. And not just because of the highly advanced weaponry and brief military training. The Rebellion's President had been wary from the moment we had set foot in District 13.

Click.

I look up. For the first time since entering the building, I see a peacekeeper. He is not alone. I count one, two...eleven of them. Eleven guards scattered about the open room ahead of the cells. In order to retrieve our families, they would have to see us.

"I have a plan."

I nearly jump when I hear Gale's voice next to me. I shake myself from my momentary scare before speaking. "Eleven. How do you suppose we-"

"Twelve," Gale interrupts. He points me upward, and I turn to see another, a sniper, positioned cleverly on the floor above us, looking down over the open room with a poised and blank expression.

"Damn. Okay twelve, how do you propose we get them?"

"I'll take the four over there," he says gesturing to his left. "You can take those four and-

"Get up, both of you! And drop your weapons." I feel a gun prod my back.

Thirteen.

Gale and I both slowly sit up. We dare not turn around. Gale sighs. "Looks like we both miscounted."