Chapter 4: Star-Crossed Lovers

Eleanor

    "Would you shut up ?" I snap.

    Glimmer turns her head dramatically, golden locks cascading through the air. I had grown sick of her "entertaining" us with stories of her life back in District 1, most of which involved getting pedicures and going to huge parties, getting drunk, and proceeded to spend the night with the first guy that would ask her. Although it's not like I'm surprised.

    "What's wrong, Emerald?" she says sarcastically in that awful screech she calls a voice.

    "It's Eleanor. My parents preferred not to give their child an unreasonable and stupid name. Sorry I can't say the same for you."

    Clove scoffs.

    "Snarl all you want, midget. It won't help you live any longer," I whip.

    Before I can continue, a silhouette strides forward from the trees, clobbering into our path. I instinctively put my hand to my sheath, ready to bare the dagger, but as the anomaly strides into the light, I chuckle. It's the boy from 12, weak despite his size. Little... Lover Boy.

    "Wait," he says noticing our hands on our weapons. "I want to help."

    Of course you do. Glimmer and I both take a step forward, and I unsheathe my dagger as Glimmer readies her bow.

    "I can help you find Katniss, really! I know her strategy and her thinking process. I'm the only way you'll ever be able to find her."

    Clove lets out a sigh, Marvel's eyebrow dances up his forehead.

    "Don't pretend like we're stupid, Lover Boy," I scold him, unimpressed.

    "You didn't think I was really in love with her, did you?" he remarks timidly.

    "You're not?" Marvel asks.

    "Of course not!" he says honestly enough.

    "Then why fake it?" Cato questions rhetorically.

    "I have to win sponsors somehow, don't I?" he christens. "What better way to do that then pretend I'm some lovesick pet? Of course, she doesn't know that, though. I could string her in, get her to come help me or something." Despite the unease, he seems earnest enough. His blue eyes twinkle honestly, pleadingly.

    But I don't give in. "I'm going to call bullshit on that one, Lover Boy." I take a step forward, and he launches back, extending his hands protectively in front of him.

    "Please! Really! It was all an act! I have no weapons, but I have enough survival skills! I can help you get food and water! All you have is weapons! And you'll never find Katniss without me. She has too many sponsors. She's too crafty. And she has a long range weapon. She can hit you from afar."

    "Well so can I," says Glimmer, attempting to be threatening.

    "Yeah, but you're not much of a shot, are you sweetheart," Clove says coyly.

    "You can't beat her. She's hunted all her life. She's an impeccable shot. I will help you find her! She's the one you want, right?" he pleads. "You kill me and you'll just be on a wild goose chase through this whole arena searching for her. She knows her way in the forest. You kill me and... and you'll never find her."

    Glimmer raises her bow, but Cato forces it down with the point of his sword. He looks the boy from 12 over with a curious look, and glances behind to Clove and Marvel as if to take their opinion. Neither of them say anything. Then, surprisingly, he speaks.