4️⃣ 4: soulmates

Louis and Zayn had always had their favorite places to hang out. Cherry Palace and the karaoke bar were their two favorites. But after everything that happened when Zayn was stabbed, he hasn't been back to the karaoke bar. They have since replaced their usual place with a new one. One more well suited for them than the karaoke bar. An upscale gay bar between the outskirts of downtown and the suburbs which happens to offers quiet time and no off tune singing.

Lately it has been Louis' go-to place because some blonde with a nose ring works there and Louis thinks he's cute. Apparently Louis thinks he's only fun to look at and not dating material though. Or so he says. Zayn just thinks he's too nervous to make a move for fear he might get shot down, therefore making this place another one on the list of places to never return to.

"So what's so important? Why exactly have you asked me here tonight?" Zayn asks before sipping his daiquiri through a straw.

"I've missed you."

Zayn frowns. "Louis, I hope you didn't tell me this was really important and make me drive all the way here simply because you missed me."

"Is it not legitimate? A friend can't miss his friend?"

"No. He absolutely can. But Harry is not going to be happy if he finds out I'm just out late at night drinking with you because you miss me."

"And why would you spending time with your best friend whom you don't see enough upset him?" Louis asks.

But Zayn catches himself and shrugs as if it's no big deal. "Because he loves me and he wants me there with him to spend time with him too."

"But he always gets you."

"Shouldn't he? He's my husband."

"I know he is, but it also means he can't get mad when I want one night with you. It's just one night."

"Okay, well, not mad. Don't say it like that." Zayn quickly says. "It was only a joke. And it's okay if you just want me here because you miss me. I know we haven't seen each other much since I got married and that's mostly my fault."

Louis nods. "Okay. But that's not my reason. Although I do miss you, when I said I had something important to talk to you about, I really meant it."

"Oh." He sits back nervously. "Am I going to hate it?"

"It depends. I guess. But I really hope not. The way I see it, you shouldn't."

"Okay. Just tell me what it is."

"Do you remember our conversation about two weeks ago when we had lunch? You know about you working alone."

Zayn nods. "Yes. I do. Why?"

"Well because I haven't been able to sleep much ever since that day. I'm much too worried about you."

He rolls his eyes with a smile. "And I told you, Lou. You don't have to worry about me-"

"I want to be your security guard."

Zayn is taken back by that. "What?"

"I would like to... be there. With you... at your scents store. I don't have to be paid or anything. And you don't have to put me on the books. I just want to make sure you leave there safely in the evenings."

"Louis..."

"Zayn. I mean it. I would not have called you here if I didn't."

"I know but... you're not a security guard. How can you protect me? You're just as small and untrained as I am."

"Yes, but at least I value you enough to want to give my life for you. I'll go down fighting. You know that."

Zayn holds a hand up to make him stop talking. He does not want to hear about Louis giving his life for him. It makes him uncomfortable.