6️⃣ 6: meant

It's Tuesday evening. Louis is at home on the living room couch and watching TV when Liam returns home. Louis had given him his own key a couple weeks ago, so Liam is able to walk right on in. After locking the door behind him, he heads towards the living room. But he stops when he sees Louis.

"Hi."

"Hey. Why do you look so happy?"

"Um... okay, wow. I don't know why I thought you were going to ask me why I was late."

"Maybe because your wife used to ask you that. But I'm not going to ask you that because we're not married. Also, I gave you a key for a reason."

"Right." He says and he sits down across from Louis on another couch.

"So why do you look so happy?"

"I was just at a dinner. I was meeting with a guy who works with a food distribution company. I saw online where he needed an accountant and I applied for the job last week. I had an initial interview a few days ago and then he called me for a phone interview the next day. Then he asked me to dinner tonight to sit and talk specifics. After we came to an agreement, he finally hired me for the position. I start Monday."

Louis gasps. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Wow. It seems like it all happened so fast. You just got here."

"I know. But it's amazing what you can have time to do when you're not worried about a family or getting evicted or when you have a place to stay."

"True."

"Which reminds me. Now that I'm going to be hired and making around the same amount of money I used to make before everything happened, I'm going to be looking for a new place and leaving soon. So I'll be out of your hair in no time. Don't worry."

Louis mutes the TV.

"You're not in my hair."

"I'm not?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep. It's been nice having you here and I'm not tired yet. So please, stay as long as you need to. If you need to go because it's best for you, then you can. But if you're only leaving because you think I'm tired, you'd be wrong."

He nods. "Okay. Sure. But after I save up a bit, I'll be gone."

"That's fine. I just can't believe you didn't tell me about this job until now."

"How could I? I just got hired tonight."

"No, silly. I mean that you had applied and gone back and forth to interviews and shit."

"Oh. I didn't want to jinx it."

"Jinxing isn't real. And you're too old to believe that."

"Am I? The way everything has been going for me the last couple of years, I'm inclined to believe in anything good at this point."

"Hmm, That's fair. But are you also inclined to celebrate your new job at least?"

"Celebrate how?"

Louis perks up and jumps up off the couch.

"You stay right there. Do not take your shoes off. We are going to go as soon as I get dressed."

"Go where?"

"You'll see."

Before Liam can ask anything else about it, Louis has already left the room.

* * *