5️⃣ 5: is

Zayn remembered the conversation he had with his father about three and a half weeks ago. About how Harry spending so much time around him and only him wasn't very healthy for their relationship. He really didn't want Yaser to take things the wrong way and start to ask questions about Harry. So three days later, Zayn had invited himself to his parents home to help them make dinner. Without Harry of course. If his parents think Harry is off doing his own thing away from him tonight, maybe his father won't think much of it this time around and question it.

Zayn rings the doorbell to his parents' house at seven o'clock. His mother is the one who answers the door.

"I'm glad you arrived safely." She says as she wraps her arms around him and hugs him tightly.

But when she rubs her hand against his upper back Zayn immediately winces.

"Ow..."

She quickly lets go. "I'm sorry. Are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. You were just hugging me too tight. That's all."

"Sorry. I didn't realize it. Come on in."

Zayn steps inside and past her.

"Is Harry with you?" She inquires as she peeks outside for him.

"No. He had plans with friends tonight." Zayn lies.

"Friends? Really? I wasn't aware he had friends." She says putting emphasis on the plural form of the word.

"Harry has work friends, mom. Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Because he's quite private. He never strikes me as the kind of guy who likes having too many friends."

Zayn curses in his head. She's so right about Harry. He should have thought of a better lie. But he isn't good at that kind of stuff.

"Well, I guess you were wrong." He says anyway.

Finally she closes the front door and they head to the kitchen. "And I am more than happy to be. Because honestly your father and I were talking and we were a bit concerned."

"About me?"

"No. Harry. But I guess by extension, you."

"Why?"

"Nothing too bad. We were just concerned that Harry doesn't like us. He doesn't come around very much."

Zayn frowns. "You and daddy were concerned or just daddy?"

She chuckles. "Okay fine. Your father is the one who brought it to my attention. Quite frankly, I feel your father has been this way ever since you two got married. He critiques everything. But I think it's just that he loves his son and wants to protect you. That's all."

Zayn exhales quietly. He knows his father loves and cares about him. And he loves and cares about him too. That's why he doesn't want to break his heart by telling him he's madly in love with a sociopath of Harry's nature. He just wouldn't understand what Zayn sees in him and he will definitely try to break it apart. Maybe things haven't always been rainbows and sunshine but Zayn believes in the saying that "things get worse before they get better." And this has to be the worse side of things. So he would like to think the better side is just around the corner and that one day soon Harry will change.

"Well you can tell him not to worry. I can handle it."

"I will but you know how he is."

"I know. That's why I'm here. So he knows I'm okay. Now can you please tell me what I will be cooking?"

He watches her waltz over to the sink where a colander of asparagus is.

"The asparagus. But it needs to be chopped first. While you do that, I'll get together the seasonings you'll need and then prepare the pan it will go on for you."