Chapter 26

"Get up,"

Camila groaned and buried her face into her pillow. "If all you're going to do is disturb my sleep, I'm going to take your fucking spare key back."

"Dude," Vero stood at the door of her bedroom, scowling. "You didn't fill me in yesterday when you landed. Do you know how long I've been waiting to hear about the one and only Miss Jauregui?"

"Because nothing happened," Camila wearily wiped her eyes and yawned. "We talked and... That was it."

"You didn't follow our plan,"

"Your plan was stupid,"

Vero huffed. "You were supposed to swoop her up and kiss her underneath the moonlight! What the hell, Mila?"

"Realistically, I don't think your idea would've gotten me very far in getting closure."

"Because you're not supposed to get closure. This is the love of your life, dummy!" Vero set the kettle on the stove before dragging Camila out of her room. "Did she look happy to see you?"

"We hugged," Camila answered vaguely. "And she has my new number. I told her I was open to being friends."

"Friends," Vero repeated the word slowly. "Pft, sure. Didn't you guys end up banging every day the last time you decided to be friends?"

"We were friends with benefits. That's different."

"So, you made me stay up all night long to get you a good deal on your plane ticket just for you to be friends with the chick? You're killing me, Mila. Seriously."

"I don't know what you want me to do," she laughed, throwing her comforter off of her. "You have to see where I'm coming from too at least. Her entire family is basically criminals."

Vero rolled her eyes and sat down at the edge of Camila's bed. "Have you put yourself in her shoes?"

"I don't need to,"

"I'm just saying," Vero held her hands up in surrender. "If somebody ever hurt my child, I'd do way worse to them. Simon Cowell got the lucky end of the stick."

-

"What do I even text her?" Lauren stared at her phone, biting her lip. "It'd be weird if I texted her first, wouldn't it?"

"For fuck's sake, Ralph, if you don't send that message I will." Dinah lifted up one of the cucumbers from her face mask to glare at her.

"Okay," Lauren breathed in and out. "I'm going to do it,"

She hit the send button and tossed her phone to the other side of the couch, no longer wanting to look at it. "I shouldn't have done that. I'm an idiot."

"You're a idiot that's in love. I feel like you should get cut some slack just for that alone."

"I didn't think I'd see her ever again. I didn't even think she was reading the letters I wrote to her. Maybe—"

"Nope," Dinah cut her off. "We aren't entertaining any 'maybe' ideas. Got it, Jauregui?"

"I feel like she doesn't even want me anymore," Lauren admitted defeatedly. "Like our time is over or something."

"That woman has been in between your legs since high school. Do you even hear how stupid you sound right now? Besides, it's not like you don't have other options. Luis has been asking about you nonstop. Says something about how you owe him a drink."

Lauren dropped her head and huffed. "Shit. I ditched him at my party when Camila showed up. Either way he's not going to get it. I'm not interested in dating."

"Unless it's Camila,"

"I didn't even say that,"

"You don't have to," Dinah chuckled. "Everybody knows already. I'll break the news to him, but I'm sure he'll be pretty heartbroken."

"God, I'm a horrible person,"

"Only sometimes,"

Lauren scowled at her. "Aren't you supposed to be on my side?"

"A good friend knows when to admit you're in the wrong! You should be thankful I'm not letting you parade around with a huge ass ego. Luis is a great guy and I think he deserves a chance."

"He is a great guy, which is why he should pursue another girl and not me. I can't give him what he wants."

"Laur, you have a letter," Ally said as she came into the living room with a pile of mail in her hands. She held it out towards the raven-haired woman and proceeded to look through the rest of the letters.

Lauren felt her pulse quicken as she read where the letter was set from.

Oxford, United Kingdom.

She slowly walked into her room, careful to not draw any unwanted attention from her friends. Once she heard the lock click into place, she tore it open.

Lauren,

I know this letter is long overdue. But I figured better late than never, right?

Included in this letter will be pictures of my apartment and what my life looks like over here. I don't really do much besides go to school, work, and sleep. Vero tries to get me out of the house, but she usually fails because she has no patience with me.

I can't find a good Italian restaurant over here for the life of me, which is hilarious considering Italy isn't far from here. I do hope that you're eating that heaven sent gnocchi for me.

Lauren, it wasn't easy leaving. And if anybody ever had a guide on how to be okay with walking away from the love of your life—I'm sure I would've handled the move much easier.

But I can't take back what's been done and can only hope that we're able to move forward. I miss you. Please don't think that I don't. I spend most of my nights laying in bed, looking at old pictures of us.

I'd love for you to come spend Christmas with me here. In Oxford.

You wouldn't have to worry about a plane ticket, Vero has enough points on her rich girl credit card to cover it as a favor to me. Just... Let me know, alright?

I know I kept you waiting for so long just to hear from me, but I hope you won't make me wait. Give me a call whenever you're ready.

Always love,

Camila

Lauren nearly fell to her knees once she finished reading the letter and, as if Camila knew, her phone lit up with a text message from the dark-haired woman.

Camila (4:12 PM): Should I get us matching pajamas for the holidays, then?

Not wanting to waste anymore time away from her, Lauren broke out into a smile and replied 'yes'.

-

Sorry for my sudden disappearance! I've been working on a new story and work has me super busy as well. Camren will be reunited soon, don't worry. x