Epilogue

TWO YEARS LATER

"I'm nervous,"

"Considering the fact that you gave away this beauty of an apartment to me out of all people..." Vero mumbled. "Yeah, I'd be nervous, too,"

"That's not what I meant, idiot,"

Vero picked up one of the paintings Camila left behind to further examine it. "How much do you think I can sell this for?"

"If you're talking about the naked lady painting, not a lot." Camila lied straight through her teeth. Keana had gifted it to her as a housewarming gift after she saw it at an art exhibition in New York. If Vero knew the right people, she easily could've gotten a few thousand off of it.

"You've always been such a bad liar,"

Camila rolled her eyes and bounced her leg anxiously in the passenger seat of Shawn's car. "You're supposed to be comforting me,"

"She's going to love it. Every single pathetic, romantic thing you've planned for her—she's going to love it. She'll love it today and for the rest of her life, which you will be spending together. So, stop being such a crybaby and breathe. What could possibly go wrong?"

Camila sank into the uncomfortable seat, frowning. "Everything,"

-

"My baby!"

Clara looked like a linebacker running across the field of grass on campus. Taylor and Chris trailed closely behind her, the two of them engaging in a quiet conversation.

"Oh, sweetheart, you looked beautiful up there. I felt like I was at your high school graduation again."

"Looks like it's back to being the least favorite," Chris said teasingly. He held a bouquet of flowers in his hand, his eyes filled with unshed tears. "Are you finally going to come and join me in the big apple?"

"No way," Taylor argued. "She's coming back to the west coast with me. Right, Lo?"

Lauren pulled away from their mother and threw her arms around them. "Don't cry,"

"Who said anything about crying?" Chris grumbled and awkwardly patted his sister's back. "It's not like you're going away to a different country to be with your past lover. Right?" He finished in one quick breath, referring to Camila.

"No," she laughed. "I'm not, Chris. It's okay to admit you love me, you know that, right? Especially considering I'm the first one to have a doctorate in our family—I'm like a role model!"

"I'm going to get my doctorate now, too. But just out of spite." Taylor said.

"You're still getting your bachelor's. You have a long way to go if you want to steal my spot as the favorite."

"I don't have favorites," Clara chuckled as they all began walking towards the parking lot. "I love you all equally,"

Chris unlocked the car before saying, "It's alright, mom. I know you love me the most."

-

"You want me to wear this?" Lauren stared at the elegant white dress her mother laid out on the bed for her. "Isn't this..."

"My baby just graduated from one of the best law schools in the nation. It's only appropriate that you look the part now, sweetheart."

"It's Vera Wang, mom," Lauren showed her the tag to emphasize her point. "I have plenty of other dresses I can wear. Why don't I save this for a special occasion?"

"You graduating from Yale is a special occasion. Now, stop arguing with me and get dressed. We're going to be late for our reservation."

Lauren mumbled something incoherent under her breath before stomping into the bathroom to put on the dress. After fixing her hair and applying a new lipstick layer, she spritzed some perfume around her collarbone and wrists.