As It Was - Clint

Pairing: Clint Barton x reader

Prompt(s): "I think you need to tell me the truth about how you feel towards me." | "What are you staring at exactly?"

Author's note: sign language will be in italics and prompts will be in bold.

------------

As you walk into Brooklyn and the quiet suburbs, you noticed how life was more fuller since the Snap. More birds chirping. More people outside, chatting to one another.

You were on your way towards where Clint and Kate were currently hiding out. In Kate's mother's apartment. It was the year after the two Hawkeyes decided to crash the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Centre.

You held two cups of coffee and a chai tea in the cup holder in one hand as you used the other to press the intercom buzzer. You waited for a response and then you heard the buzz from the other side of the intercom.

"Hello?" You heard Kate's voice.

"Hey Kate! It's me Y/n! I got your drinks!" You replied.

"Oh, come on up!"

The buzzer was heard as the door opened. As you entered the apartment, you went into the elevator and pressed the appropriate floor.

You managed to go to the right floor and saw Clint and Kate in the living room, watching some kind of show. You walked towards the coffee table and placed the drinks on there.

"Hey guys!" You greeted them.

"Y/n!" Kate exclaimed, standing up and hugging you.

"Hey there Kate! I got you your chai tea on the table." You explained to her.

"Thanks!" She bended down to get the cup of tea. She sipped it and went over to the kitchen. "You hungry?"

"No I'm fine, thanks Kate!"

"Okay then. I'm gonna make a sandwich. You want one, Clint?" Kate asked him.

No response.

You looked over at Clint and realised that his hearing aid was out and his eyes were closed. You softly nudged him. His eyes opened to see you. Good job you learnt sign language, just in case Clint did have his hearing aid out.

"Hi. Kate asked you if you wanted a sandwich." You signed to him. He was surprised that you knew sign language as he gave a confusing look.

"Hey. You know sign language?"

"Yeah. I learnt it for you."

He smiled at you.

"Aw! You learnt sign language?" Kate's voice kinda ruined the moment as she stood behind the sofa, munching on her sandwich.

Clint had his hearing aid in as Kate said that as he complained to her.

"Kate. Really?"

"What? Did I ruin the moment? I totally did. Sorry." Kate murmured as she walked away. "I'm gonna take Pizza Dog out for a walk."

"Yeah you do that. Me and Y/n need to talk." Clint replied.

You thought to yourself, 'We need to talk? About what?'

You looked over to Clint as the door went as Kate and Lucky went out for a walk. As soon as that happened, Clint looked over at you.

"What are you staring at exactly?" You asked him.

"I think you need to tell me the truth about how you feel towards me." Clint declared, still staring at you.

"W-What? What the heck does that mean?" You were stunned at what he just said. Tell him the truth?

No fucking way.

The thing about your crush on Clint was for you and you only.

"You know exactly what I mean. Don't even bother to tell me about it." Clint replied.

"I don't know what you're on about." You teased him.

"You like me. Don't deny it."

Fuck, he found out. But how? You never told him except..

Fucking Natasha.

"Did Nat tell you?" You asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope. I was in the vents of the Compound and I was above your room. I heard everything. I'm guessing you were writing in your diary or something." Clint explained, putting an arm on the back of the sofa.

'I forgot you're always in the vents. Next time, do not say stuff out loud whilst writing in my diary.' You thought to yourself.

"No, that's a good idea."

Wait, did he hear you say that? But you thought that to yourself. Oh shit, I said that out, didn't you?

"I said that out loud, didn't I?" You hesitated to ask.

Clint just nodded and hummed as he sat up and got his coffee. His order was always the same. Straight black. No milk. No sugar. He drank the coffee before placing it down again.

"So, no point in denying it. Just say it..."

"Say what?"

"You love me!" He taunted you, singing it playfully.

You sighed. You weren't getting out of this one.

"Yeah I do. But I thought it would be weird if we got together." You confessed.

Clint had a confusing look on his face yet again.

"Weird? Why would it be weird?" Clint asked you.

You shrugged your shoulders as you looked down awkwardly.

Clint put a hand on your shoulder as you looked up at the sudden touch. "Hey. I don't think it would be weird if we got together. I mean, Tony might've thought so, but he's not here now, right?"

You chuckled as you suddenly wiped the tears that were falling from your eyes.

"Now look, you want to be together or not?" He asked you.

"Yeah I do." You uttered.

Clint smiled as he leaned in and kissed your lips.