Part 8: 'Total fucking panic dead people and bullshit'

(Charlie's POV)
Here I go I guess BUZZ BUZZ "You're certainly popular" Nick commented "Jheez I wish" I said in reply I checked my phone and looked in horror at the message

Ben Hope: I'm sorry Charlie, I was wrong, yes I used you but I swear I do still care. Please come by, I'm really upset and I don't know what I'm gonna do without you to calm me down.

My stomach dropped out, the whole reality of today fell away, I suddenly didn't care about going to some palace, I needed to go back to Cambridge to deal with my maybeboyfriend Ben, I realised I was at least an hour away "Stop the car" I said, immediately realising I'd just given an order to a Prince and armed police officers "Sorry, Luke could you pull over please?" Nick looked at me, surprise and dismay showing in equal quantities, "Hey what's up?" He asked putting a hand on my shoulder, I immediately leaned away and he recoiled "Oh, Charlie I'm so sorry I-" "It's fine, I just really need to get to Cambridge right now, there's an emergency I need to deal with "Emergency?! Luke! Cambridge now!" With hindsight I now realise using the word 'emergency' inside a bulletproof car with the Prince of Wales was not a smart a idea, before I knew it we were going 70mph down the M11 with sirens and lights going. Nick was just sat in his seat casually tapping on his phone, I realised I needed to reply to Ben

Charlie: Hey, was in London but am speeding back, don't worry about what happened I'm on the way stay strong 👍❤️

My phone buzzed yet again

Ben: Be quick.

Charlie: Of course xxx

————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————

(Nick's POV)

Okay I'm freaking out, not only is Charlie freaking out about something but now he's flinching when I reach out to him? I'm being too intense! Of course I am, what was I thinking. My phone buzzes

Mum: Nicky, I'm told there was an emergency?

Lottie: OMG, is everything okay?! You're not allowed to be assassinated I am not being the Queen.

Mum: Lottie, being a Queen is a privilege.

Nick: Oh, don't worry everything's fine, Charlie just got some bad news and we're heading back to Cambridge early.

Lottie: At least this way there's no chance of running into dad 🙄

Nick: kindly don't bring that scumbag up.

Mum: Now now children....

————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————

(Charlie's POV)

When we arrived at campus, only 30 minutes after I got Ben's text, Nick and I swapped phones and numbers gave quick pleasantries and I immediately left, I was shortly after at Ben's room knocking quite loudly, he opened it and I smiled "Charlie? Oh I thought you'd take longer, ah you even brought nuggets?" He gestured for me to come inside and I did, he immediately closed the door and fell onto his bed, looking at me "Well?" He said expectantly "Oh, sorry yeah of course" Ben and I were... kind of in the bizarre in-between space of friends with benefits and boyfriends, we did stuff and we'd often enjoy cuddling after, "I'm kind of feeling a bit better, do you think you could..." which was kind of his way of indicating he wanted a certain thing from me, I rolled my eyes, I should've really expected this... Ben was the only relationship I'd ever had (Gay relationship that is) and to be honest I was still waiting for it to click that he really liked me, we'd argued at the weekend because I tried to hold his hand outside, it was stupid and totally my fault but Ben did say "I never want to see you again" I should have realised it was hyperbole. Anyways I should get to it....

————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————-————————————

(Nick's POV)

I was sat in the car going over everything that had happened, I'd jumped at the opportunity to get out of London when I found out dad was coming back, "Luke?" I said, "Yes Sir?" I looked at him with distain "Sir? Really? It's just us now, anyway let's head to Darcy's cafe please" he sighed, "Actually the palace has upped your security detail now that quote 'the Prince finds himself finally enjoying the company of other students' so yeah, four more guards in the car behind. Anyway let's get to the cafe" I thought about arguing the point and immediately realised I didn't have the energy.

Not so Prince Charming: Cafe meet-up 5 mins.

Barista Goddess: I'm supposed to be working Nick!

Jonesy: I just finished studying good timing! I thought you were at Kensington tho?

Not so Prince Charming: Will explain all shortly

Barista Goddess: Is your new boo joining us?

Not so Prince Charming: Ha. Ha. Ha. No.

I arrived at the cafe and we all retreated to our special room, Tara was the first to break the silence, "Let me guess? TFPDPaB?" I smiled, I hadn't heard that for a while, "Yep, Total Fucking Panic Dead People and Bullshit, just about sums it up, Darcy looks at us both and lifts her hands up "What the fuck?" I laugh "Google it you uncultured swine" just being with them made me feel better "You two are pretty alright you know" I said smiling to them both, Tara took my hand and Darcy followed suit.