Part 17: Oh Nicholas...

(Nick's POV)

Barista Goddess: You know what Nick? You need to get over yourself.

Not so Prince Charming: Excuse me?

Jonesy: Darcy...

Barista Goddess: Don't you "Darcy" me, we both know Nick's just terrified of Charlie hurting him, but Charlie's gone out of his way to help Nick in so many ways. Like, when we met met him at the Café Nick you looked happier than I'd ever seen you.

Jonesy: I'll admit, if you stopped getting in your head everything will go a lot smoother.

Not so Prince Charming: I think I need to talk to him about Luc.

Barista Goddess: FINALLY, revelation of the century!

Not so Prince Charming: Fuck offffff (ily both)

Jonesy: <3

Barista Goddess: <3

---------------------------------------------------------

(Charlie's POV)

I could see Aled and Daniel approaching, it still made me laugh at how they were together as a couple, Daniel always looked so serious, and now he'd come from under his mother's shadow Aled was a very free spirit. He plonked himself next to me and gave me a hug "Oh Charlie, talk to me, what's up bud?" He said sitting next to me, if 15 year old Aled could see 18 year old Aled I sometimes wonder what he'd say. The trouble is I don't know what's wrong, I don't have much relationship experience but I'm pretty sure this is a Nick problem not a me problem.

"I don't get it, I mean- he's perfect- we're perfect together. But he keeps having these panicky moments and I don't know what to do" the crowd around me didn't speak "I think.. have you tried to force him to talk it out? Like why he's so anxious about it?" Elle put in "Well.. isn't that really rude though?" I asked "Well it depends" Tao added "Yes, sometimes if you can't communicate effectively with your partner it can lead to a disaster" Daniel chimed in, Aled looked at him and gave him a scornful look followed by a playful kiss "How long will you hold the University year against me for?" Daniel took hold of his hand "Forever my darling" and he gave Aled a microscopic smile, a chorus of "awhhhhhh" occured across the table, and whilst I could appreciate the cuteness I was also feeling as though my issues weren't being taken seriously enough "Whilst I don't mean to be an attention whore.." and everyone immediately turned back to me and Elle sighed "You shouldn't be panicking Charlie, you should be angry, he may be a Prince but he's also your boyfriend, and in this situation? He's in the wrong.." everyone nodded in agreement "Really?" I asked, seeking confirmation, they all nodded in the affirmative.

I thought about what had happened in the morning and to be honest, they were right, and I actually was angry. I stood up and took a few steps toward the Thames, I called Nick.

Nick: Charlie, oh, I didn't expect you to call to be honest. You ignored my calls and texts?

Charlie: Yeah I did. Are you expecting an apology? Because to be honest I'm not in an apologetic mood.

Nick: Nono! Of course, sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned it. How are you?

Charlie: That's a joke right?

Nick: I'm sorry Char..

Charlie: Why do you keep pushing me away Nick?

Nick: I don't know! There's so many reasons, like, I still think about my ex every day, the way he used me and destroyed my ability to trust anyone. I know my dad hates me for being with you, it shouldn't matter because he's a homophobic piece of scum but he's my dad and I have to see him, it's expected, I'm supposed to be a King one day and I don't know how it's work. Just so much shit going on in my head.

Charlie: Why didn't you just tell me all this?

Nick: Because it's all too much! I don't want you to have to deal with this shit, being with me is being with all that extra shit and it's not fair on you.

Charlie: Meet me at the London Eye in an hour.

Nick: What? I don't understand?

Charlie: See you there.

I put the phone down and my stomach flipped, I walked back to my friends and said "I thing everything is going to be okay? But I need to do something which may be... Ill advised.. Let's go shopping"

--------------------------------------------------------

(Nick's POV)

I spent the thirty minutes after Charlie and my phone call looking for appropriate clothes to wear, the London Eye was very public so I decided smart casual was probably the best idea. Luke was very apprehensive of allowing me to go but I told him he could go wild on security, there would probably be a small army of police waiting when I got there.

We pulled up to the London Eye and found a very confused looking crowd and actual riot officers "Luke when I said wild I didn't mean 'ready to beat tourists down' wild" he simply laughed "Eh, never be too careful" we got out the car and immediately people noticed me, not that it mattered, they'd put barriers up near the entrance and closed it off, I knew this would end up in the tabloids but it was difficult to care.

I saw Charlie standing in the pod in the eye, I made my way to him, he looked nervous, I could tell from his body language he wanted to share some sort of physical affection instead he held his arm and said "Okay I know this was my idea but I did not anticipate just how big this was gonna get" he said, nervously laughing. What struck me most was that we were wearing almost identical clothing suits without a tie top button undone, he looked stunning and I honestly couldn't resist, I held him in my arms like a building clings to its foundations, terrified that if I let him go I'd fall away into nothing. Charlie, just Charlie, that's what mattered. Suddenly the pod shifted and I turned to see the door close and Luke at the controls, he winks at me and Charlie and I both laugh, the Eye stops when we reach the top.

I reluctantly let Charlie out of the bear hug I've had him in and settle for holding his hand as we look upon the capital. "See Nick, this is reality" Charlie said gesturing outside "What do you mean?" I asked him "Well, you've got it in your head that it's you versus everything, but it's not, now it's me and you against the world" and at that moment I knew in my heart I had to make a choice. "Charlie... I need to tell you something.." he looked at me and clearly saw my sadness "You can tell me anything Nick, and I swear I will never judge you or betray your confidence" and I smiled, because I believed him. "I have never met anyone like you Char" I said, brushing his hair out of his eyes then holding both his hands "But I've been in love before, his name was Luc and he used me, when I found him in our bed with another guy I freaked, I kicked him out and the experience destroyed me, I drank, partied and I got low, I tried to end it all, yeah I slashed my wrists and tried to just die" both our eyes filled with tears, "Luke found me and sorted me out though, but I promised myself I'd never let anyone say they 'love' me again, this thing we've been in, everything's happened so quickly and I just, I know how I feel about you Charlie, do you understand? The way I feel for you is forever, do you hear what I'm saying?" Charlie brushed a tear from his eye then pulled a box from his pocket "Why do you think I wore a suit and brought you to the only place in London where we can see everyone but be in total privacy" and I stood back taking my own ring box out "It can't be" I said, partly overcome by emotion, partly overcome by the insanity of what we were doing and partly unsure if we'd just got engaged without actually needing to ask the question.

"Well, what do we do now?" Charlie said laughing and wiping his emotionally distraught face. I shrugged and put him back in my arms "I love you, fiancé" I said "I love you too, fiancé" he said back.