Part 11: The Calm

(Nick's POV)

Charlie takes my hand as we go to walk into the corridor, shit! We need to have *this* talk, I turn us around and walk back to the bed, sit him on it and kneel in front of him "Charlie, I really want this to work but there's a few things I need to tell you first, being the partner to the heir of the throne is very intense under normal circumstances. When people find out I'm bi and we're together? It's going to very quickly get out of hand and I don't want you to get hurt" he takes hold of both my hands and says "Nick, I don't know why but I feel like when I'm with you there's not really anything that can stop us, I'm happy to take the risk" I smile at him and kiss his forehead, feeling his hair I say "You've got the softest hair in the world" he giggles and makes the most adorable noise. Right Mr Spring, follow me to the car!

The halls were busy and to be honest I wish I could just take Charlie's hand and pop to the café to study, I've always wanted to study in a public space with a partner, there's something about the constant smell of fresh coffee that really focuses me. But alas me and Charlie just awkwardly walked together in the middle of the bubble of security, we finally reached the car and I knew something was up "Char?" "Sorry" he was really trying to keep his cool but it was clear to see he was not okay, "I saw Ben on the way and I wanted to take your hand just for some reassurance you know? I'm sorry I know I'm pathetic" I hated that he felt like this, I hated that I'd made him feel like this. I immediately wrapped him into a bear hug and he quietly sobbed "I will never let him hurt you" I whispered, he kept repeating "Just pick someone who isn't broken" and I ran my hand through his hair saying "It's okay, it's alright, I've got you" wow, I can't believe how intense these feelings are for him.

I hold him the entire journey across campus and only release him when we arrive at the building which houses the housestaff, well that and the aptly named Royal floor, it consisted of the top floor with a master suite and two further apartments.

The look on Charlie's face when we get to my suite is quite the picture, "How muc- actually I don't think I wanna know" I laugh "No I don't pay Char, the floor is given to royal students when they study here, you'll be taking the room next floor" he looked at me "What do you mean?" I brush a stray hair away from his eyes "Well if that Ben guy is scaring you then I'll to have you here, obviously I'd invite you to stay here" I pull him close and give him a deep long kiss, exploring his mouth as he explores mine "and I plan on you staying here a lot believe me" I laugh and so does he "but you'll need your own space" he looks away saddened by something. "Hey, what's up?" I ask "I'm so sorry, I just- this- YOU!" He gestures at me as though I'm less a person than some sort of thing he's been presented with "It's all just happening so fast"

I sit next to Charlie after getting us both a drink of lemonade, "Look, there's something I want to tell you about" I sigh, knowing that if I had a choice I wouldn't have this conversation, my breaths go short and I close my eyes, oh god it's happening again "Woah woah Nick, listen to me, you need to take a deep breath in one two three in, hold it, now slowly release, keep going"

(Charlie's POV)

I'm not sure what's so traumatic that the thought of talking about it made Nick have a panic attack, but here we are, I'm not 100% certain how physical to be with him here, I need to get this right, I need help, "LUKE!" I quickly call and he immediately enters the room, he's clearly dealt with this before because before I even know what is happening he's sat in front of Nick, holding his hands and doing the same breathing exercises I'm so familiar with. He looks at me "It's over now, you should probably take over" and he moves to stand by the door locking it to ensure privacy from the rest of the security Nick's comfortable with Luke so I guess I should try to be too, Nick's made it quite obvious that he's.. the instigator of physical contact with a partner but right now he's a state and he needs reassurance, I move and wrap my arms around him "It's alright" "I'm here" "I won't let you go" all streaming from my mouth on repeat. He was crying and just holding onto me, it was horrible yet beautiful at the same time, I realised I had my pack of tissues I carried around in summer for the hayfever and gave it to him, he just laughed and I told him we should probably head to the bedroom. "Aye that's a good idea" he said, standing up taking his jacket off and then subsequently picking me up, "Jesus Nick, don't you dare drop me!" He just laughed and dropped me onto the bed, he closed the door and gestured to me, "Off, he said," and it took me a second to realise what he meant "Oh, really?" He laughed "No you- not like that, I just wanna.. cuddle and familiarise myself with the.... Mechanics. Was I about to lose my virginity? To the fucking Prince of Wales? Maybe, let's see what happens...