Part 13

This chapter is a long one but I have a feeling this *may* be your favorite part thus far. Let me know what you think!

The pair headed downtown to the hotel where the Barrister Ball was being held, holding hands in the car the whole time. Joe would periodically look over at Eve as she answered a backlog of emails while they sat in traffic, saying a silent prayer of thanks for his good fortune. He finally felt like he could exhale, the fear of Eve throwing in the towel on their relationship all but gone.

"If people start hounding you for autographs or photos, we can leave. I don't want you to feel like you're on display," Eve said as she scrolled through her messages. "I can handle some photos Eve. It's the boob signing I hate," Joe chuckled, causing Eve to smack his arm.

"Damn, and I brought a special orange Sharpie for you to sign mine," Eve sighed. "We can turn around and I'll sign whatever you want me to," Joe retorted as he licked his lips. Patting Joe's thigh, Eve looked out the window as she felt herself getting warm.

She hadn't had sex in 6 months, the last romp being with a coworker after a drunken dinner during a work trip. After that, she'd gone on a series of terrible Bumble dates before the wedding that hadn't materialized into anything. The past 4 months with Joe had been wonderful and she was grateful that they had focused on their emotional connection rather than their sexual one, but she could no longer ignore the aching between her legs every time he touched her.

Pulling up to the valet stand, Joe came around to open Eve's door, placing his hand on the small of her back as they walked inside the Ball. Immediately, Eve felt eyes snapping towards them, people whispering to each other about the attorney that had brought Joe Burrow as her date. Greeting various people she knew from her old firm, Eve led them to their table that was filled with people from The Innocence Project.

Right before they reached their chairs, Joe stopped her. "What do you want me to introduce myself as?" Joe asked, his eyes suddenly filled with worry. "Whatever you self-identify as," Eve joked. "No, I mean-am I your 'friend'? I don't want to say anything that's going to make you uncomfortable," Joe questioned. "Joey. You can say you're my boyfriend," Eve grinned, tickled at how awkward he had turned. Joe beamed as he reached for Eve's hand, his heart soaring at yet another milestone reached between them.

Eve spotted her lead counsel and his wife waving at them, pointing to two empty seats. Eve led Joe over to the couple as she introduced her shocked boss to the quarterback. "Joe, this is the President of the Innocence Project, Michael Patricks and his wife Lacey. Michael; Lacey, this is my boyfriend Joe." Eve got a kick out of seeing her normally stoic and stone-faced boss turn into a blathering fanboy at the sight of Joe. She sat back and chatted to Lacey as Michael talked Joe's ear off; Joe laughing heartily at Michael's jokes.

"May I ask how long you two have been together?" Lacey quipped. Eve paused, not quite knowing how to answer that. "A little over 5 years, all together," Eve replied, deciding to go with the truth. "That's wonderful," Lacey remarked and Eve nodded. "Yeah, it is. We've grown up together at this point."

"Hey, when you know, you know," Lacey smiled. The women chatted for a bit as various other members of the project took their seats. Most of Eve's coworkers had no idea about Joe, and she was amused at their various reactions. Eventually, the announcement was made that dinner would be served and everyone took their seats.

Sliding back over into his chair next to Eve, Joe rested his hand on the part of her thigh that was exposed thanks to the deep slit in her dress. "I didn't know if I was going to see you again tonight," Eve laughed. "I was trying to get you a raise but he informed me that's not how it works," Joe winked, taking a long swig of his cocktail.