Part 50

50 chapters, countless readers, and over 112,000 words--I can't believe it! Thank you all for your support of this story. This double chapter is a special one.

It was shocking, the pure rage one could feel towards someone they loved so much. Whoever said that your loved ones were capable of hurting you more than your enemies was right, for the frenzied fury Eve felt as she drove back to her apartment was like an infection taking over her body; the virus slowly seeping into every one of her pores until her palms turned beet red and she swore she was running a fever out of anger.

She sat on her couch, purse still over her arm and keys in hand for what felt like an eternity; staring at the wall as she replayed her conversation with Joe over and over. He was entitled to his feelings; that much she couldn't argue with. Joe's methods of processing were his alone, and she knew that she had no autonomy over how he closed the traumatic chapter of their lives they'd been dealing with for months. What she was upset about was his assumption that he had autonomy over hers; that he could stomp his feet and dictate the discourse of her life the way he had for years.

Eve knew he wouldn't be happy about her being gone for so long, but his irrationally controlling reaction scared her. He just assumed she would want to rush into living together again, that she would slowly scale down her life to fit into his. It brought up long suppressed feelings and visions of the old Eve; the one with an identity so buffed out that she slowly just morphed into his nameless, faceless girlfriend that was a footnote in his life.

She had zoned out so deeply she jumped a foot off the couch when Flossy angrily brushed by her leg, meowing. "Sorry buddy. You need to eat," Eve muttered. Pouring some food into his bowl, she gnawed at her cheek and continued to replay her conversation over and over again until the sound of Joe's voice distorted in her head.

That was the problem with anger. It acted like a funhouse mirror; warping the reality of the situation and making it hard to see the real emotions underneath. Only when you separate yourself from that mirror are you able to see the truth below the surface, in this case, the deep sadness and regret Eve felt. "Damnit," she groaned, rubbing her hands over her face. Sighing loudly, she checked the time on her stove and grabbed her purse, heading downstairs to her car yet again.

Eve felt her stomach churn as she ascended the steps to Joe's front door for the second time that evening, praying that he hadn't already gone to sleep. Letting herself inside with the door code felt too invasive given their argument, and she was mid-knock when her phone started ringing, a smile washing over her when she saw the name on her screen as the door swung open.

Joe stood in front of her, phone to his ear, his eyes wide. "I was just calling you," he said. "I think you can hang up," Eve replied, a tear threatening to fall from the corner of her eye. Tossing the phone aside, Joe drew Eve into his chest, burying his head in her hair.

"I'm really sorry Joe. I shouldn't have said all of that and just left. That wasn't fair of me," Eve sniffed. "No, I'm sorry. I crossed a line that I shouldn't have. You were only reacting to me being an asshole," Joe mumbled, kissing Eve's forehead. She hiccuped as he led her into the living room, pulling Eve into his lap as he ran his hands up and down her back to calm her.

"Let's start over. Why don't you tell me about Spain and what the job entails. I wasn't really listening to you earlier," Joe admitted sheepishly. Eve took a deep breath before launching into her presentation again; outlining every aspect of the position and making sure to highlight the temporary nature of the assignment.

When she was done, she laced her fingers with Joe's and watched him lean back onto the couch. "That sounds great baby," Joe sighed, "I'm happy for you. I don't want you to go because I don't want to spend 5 weeks without you, but I know this is perfect for you."