Part 43

This chapter takes place after a tiny time jump. Originally, the Taylor Brooks trial had been three full chapters, but because we have to get ready for Lana's baby, I have condensed the trial. I may publish those cut chapters in a separate story just focusing on Eve's career if anyone is interested!

"You two are very, very funny, but it's not happening and I've already explained why. You're staying here," Eve yelled over her shoulder, fiddling with the rickety Keurig machine in the small kitchen.

"These are fantastic disguises Eve. No one will know it's us. We promise, we won't say anything or talk to anyone," Andrea argued, cracking up as she stared at Joe. Both of them were wearing plastic party glasses complete with fake noses and multicolored mustaches; a silly joke in a last minute attempt to get into the gallery at the courtroom.

After four brutal weeks of hospitalization and rehab, Andrea was on the mend and in Cleveland with Joe and Eve while Taylor Brooks' trial resumed. She still had a long way to go and was wheelchair bound; Joe taking her to physical therapy three days a week at a local facility, but she had exceeded the expectations of her medical team.

"Clowns! I'm stuck in a damn Hyatt with a bunch of clowns," Eve muttered, "as I've told you both multiple times: it is extremely inappropriate for the family of a defense attorney to sit in the gallery, but even if it wasn't, there is no way in hell Joe Burrow is going to be able to sneak into a courtroom without causing a scene. You two can watch the highlights tonight on the news like everyone else."

While Brooks' legal team had made multiple requests to the judge to ban cameras from the trial, none of them had been granted due to the immense amount of public interest in the case. That meant every night when Eve crawled back into the dingy extended stay, she found Joe and Andrea glued to the television, both of them angrily shouting at the talking heads that frequently focused on Eve's performance.

The legal analysts with any merit were mostly complimentary of Eve; commending her on her strong cross examination of the state's witnesses and highlighting her work with the Innocence Project. What Eve wasn't prepared for was the unforeseen discovery of who she was in a relationship with and the soapy commentary about her being Joe's girlfriend being infused into the analysis of the trial.

While Eve knew she wasn't totally unknown, she was still constantly surprised that anyone would find it notable who she was dating; that even after all this time including two trips to the Super Bowl and even a long breakup, anyone cared who she was. She'd naively thought she'd fade into the background, but she was wrong.

Instead, the media coverage of what was arguably the most important case of her career was filled with speculation about a non-existent secret engagement; her clothing; and a strange segment on if she was upset about the courthouse being a mile away from the Browns' stadium.

"These glasses totally hide my face. I don't know what you're talking about," Joe chuckled, scratching Flossy behind the ears while he twirled his purple mustache. "Okay you two, I've got to go. Behave yourselves. Stay off your burner accounts," Eve glared at Andrea who had begun commenting on every tweet critical of Eve, "and I will see you later tonight. Adam's going to come by so let's order pizza or something."

Kissing them both goodbye, Eve left Joe and her mother at the hotel and made her way to the police convoy that escorted her to the courthouse every morning. She used the drive on the way to the building as time to quiet her mind; a chance to meditate on the day ahead and focus before she had to get game ready. This particular day would be monumental as the state would be putting on Joseph Franklin, providing Eve with her first opportunity to cross examine him.