THIRTEEN

"Leah?!" I shouted as soon as I recognised her. Leah suddenly turned towards me, and her eyes lit up in surprised.

"Rya?!" she quickly walked towards me with a huge smile. I pulled her in for a hug, instantly smelling her lavender scented perfume. "OMG hey!" she exclaimed.

Sienna and I befriended Leah by the end of our Senior year in high school. Throughout college we kind of lost touch as she was on the other side of the country in LA and her parents flew out there during the holidays instead of her coming back home.

I couldn't blame her. I'd take LA over Wisconsin any day.

Still, we briefly texted every once in a while, but as she let go after our hug, I couldn't help but wonder why she was here?

"What are you doing here?"

"Long story – actually, it isn't really. It's more for a job opportunity."

"Job opportunity? Don't you have college?" I scrunched my brows together. New York was on the other side of the country to her. Weren't there any opportunities in LA? All she had to do was get a yoga instructor licence and bam! Job opportunity.

  Leah chuckled nervously and ran a hand through her hair. "Well... Yeah. But it's for this amazing company. Have you ever heard of D'Angelo Enterprise?" D'Angelo Enterprise. I had heard the name before. From what I knew, it was a multi-million company based in NYC but had several other offices based in Europe too.

  They owned tons of shit. From A-list clubs to aeroplanes. That company practically ruled part of the world.

I nodded and Leah grinned brightly, "Well, about a month ago, one of their representatives gave us a talk and afters I went to ask her a few questions. Long story short, we got talking and she mentioned how they ran an intern programme for the summer that could turn into full-time paying employment if you succeeded. So... I took the plunge – I know! It's totally not like me to be rash but D.E. is an insane opportunity and I couldn't miss out on it and –"

"Leah!" I cut her off with a laugh, gripping her shoulders.

"Sorry!" she cringed. "I'm just insanely excited and nervous that I'm babbling all over the place. Probably the reason why I couldn't even get a taxi to my hotel."

"Probably." I chuckled. "Here, let me do it for you. New York taxi drivers are harsh and have zero filter."

  Coming from LA to NYC was a big change and I bet Leah had no idea.

"You're telling me. That guy looked like he wanted to kill me and told me my hair looks like a gone-wrong 80s magazine." Jesus. This guy definitely wasn't in the mood and a nervously blabbering Leah was not a good thing to add into the mix.

   "I mean, does it really look that bad? I changed it up six months ago and all my college friends said it looked good but if it looks bad, I'll change it back."

Just then, I noticed that Leah did look a little different. Her hair had some subtle buttery-gold highlights that gave her face have more of a glow and an adorable set of wispy bangs. She wore a bit more makeup too and her fashion game had majorly upped. True, I hadn't seen her in years, but it was nice to see her development from the meek girl I remembered in high school.

  She was like Carrie before tearing down the walls of the school was the same rage my period did with my uterus.

"It looks great, you look great." I clarified.

"Thank you." She looked relieved. "I don't know if I'll keep it. Actually, I probably won't but... I just needed the change." I didn't know what she meant by that, but I decided not to ask and instead walk to the edge of the sidewalk.