THIRTY SEVEN

Walking down the stairs, my footsteps echoed in the empty house. My dad left at 6 AM this morning to prep for his major surgery. Being a cardiologist had great advantages such as helping people and the pay, one of the downsides was the ridiculously long hours.

  However, my dad loved his job with his entire being and he was extremely well respected and admired. The number of people he'd helped and saved was astronomical. As a little girl, I wanted to be a doctor too, then I found out about the gory parts such as cutting people open and touching their organs and I was immediately put off.

  I didn't know how Roman was able to be a neurosurgeon. Imagine looking at people's brains. I would be put off my appetite for a lifetime but, hey, it was an admirable profession, and he was going to help a lot of people, just like my dad.

  The kitchen was always colder than the rest of the house due to the huge windows, but I liked the light it let in. Letting the machine fix my first coffee of the day, I scoured the fridge. My dad wasn't a bad cook but because his job had such long, stressful hours, he usually kept his meals simple and easy.

  And unfortunately for me, one portion which meant zero leftovers.

  I spotted some eggs, veggies, and bacon, and decided it was time to put my cooking skills to the test and whip up an omelette. I'd made them before but because I was so used to Ezekiel's leftovers, I hadn't made one in forever.

  As I placed everything I needed on the counter, I noticed a note on the side:

Be back from work at 7, then we can head out for dinner. Creamer is running low so you might need to go grocery shopping.
Love you lots, Dad.

  Luckily, I didn't need creamer for my coffee but after a slightly overdone omelette, I decided to make a list and head out for the grocery store anyways.

  Turned out we weren't just running low on creamer, but several other things too, and I knew my dad didn't have a lot of time on his plate for a big shop. It was good I was here as a helping hand.

  The town centre was only a fifteen-minute walk, but the harsh weather and heavy snow made it feel like an hour. By the time I made it into the grocery store, my fingers were about to freeze off and I wouldn't be surprised if my hair turned into strands of icicles.

  Checking my phone for the list, I noticed many messages I hadn't checked.

LEAH: Piggy's been crying for more food all day, she even scratched Ezekiel this morning. Is it okay if I give her some?

EZEKIEL: Your cat just assaulted me AGAIN

SIENNA: Booked my flight! Can't wait to see youuuu

CORAL: Going on another date with Jayden, top 1 or top 2?

  Wow, look at me Miss Popular. I couldn't help smiling at all the messages because if you told me this time last year I'd have more friends, I would have never believed you.

  After giving Leah the okay, telling Ezekiel to stop being overdramatic, sending some cute hearts to Sienna, and telling Cora top 2 was better, I headed down the aisle to start my shopping.

   "Is that everything for you?" the cashier asked as he finished packing my bags. I shook my head and pulled out my card. The thought of carrying these bags home already made me exhausted but it was worth it.

  If putting food in the fridge was helping my dad out after his long day at work, I was more than happy to make the trek.

   "Thank you." I smiled at the cashier, hauling the bags onto my shoulders, and making my way out the automatic doors. You could not tell me automatic doors weren't the best thing to happen to shops, that and free samples.