THIRTY

"Piggy, please, I'm begging you, put on your costume." I was almost crying from exhaustion attempting to put on her little red hooded cape with devil horns I bought from the pet store this morning.

  She meowed and hissed every time I approached her with the thing. I made sure it was the softest, loosest material I could find so it wouldn't annoy her but still she was stubborn and probably thought dressing up was beneath her.

   "Piggy, please. It's Leah's birthday and mommy wants you to dress up." I tried to reason.

   "She doesn't have to dress up." Leah told me as she finished rolling up her lacy, white socks on my bed. Her blue coset and yellow miniskirt made her the most adorably sexy Snow White. She even had a red bow in her hair.

   "No. She does. She's just being stubborn because she probably wanted to be a princess." I explained. They didn't have any princess costumes and I thought a crown would be too uncomfortable rather than this soft cape.

  Maybe Piggy abided by 'beauty is pain'.

  I tried once more, and she hissed again. I groaned, "I'm going to give you a minute to put your ego aside and then we're trying again." I pointed sternly at her. "Hopefully with a better attitude." I added on.

  She only turned away and walked to her bed, sitting there, giving me the evil eyes.

  Leah laughed behind me. Her lips were painted bright red to match her look. I gifted her a set of lipsticks since she once told me she didn't own any.

  Ezekiel and I also banded together to get her a vinyl along with an album of one of the artists whose poster she had on her wall. She was so overwhelmingly happy and couldn't quite believe her eyes.

  Since finding out about her awful 21st last year, we all wanted to make sure this birthday was perfect.

   "What time is everyone arriving?" I asked her, walking to the mirror to check the curls in my hair.

   "I said 8 but everyone is going to try and be fashionably late." She told me. I turned around and saw her pick up her gold sash and put it on. It said 'Feeling 22' on it and her face lit up when she saw herself in the mirror.

   "You look so good!" I beamed. "This party is going to be the best." I really hoped it was. Even a few of Leah's friends from LA had flown out to come which was really sweet.

  She let out a nervous breath, "I hope so."

  I placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, "It will." I assured. "You should go check on the decorations and make sure everything's the way you want it."

   "You sure you don't want me to stay and help with Piggy."

   "Oh no." I shook my head, chuckling. "This is between me and her." I shot Piggy and nasty look as she lied smugly in her bed.

   "Okay..." Leah laughed and left the room.

  After several minutes and begging and pleading and bribing. Piggy was now in her costume. Praise the Lord. Or was that blasphemous considering she was dressed as the Devil?

  I didn't have time to think about that.

  The apartment was decorated with gold and blue banners and balloons. A table was already stocked with a few bottles of alcohol and plastic cups however we did tell people to supply their own.

  Ezekiel bought a shit-ton of chips and dips, mini-pizzas, and donuts too in case people got hungry. Drunk people always got hungry.

   "How many of Leah's college friends are coming again?" Ezekiel asked, slipping on the robe of his Hugh Hefner robe.