TWENTY THREE

The next morning, Leah and I sat in our living room exchanging looks. Ezekiel was leaning against the kitchen island, texting, and grinning to himself. Grinning to himself.

"That's definitely hook-up guy, right?" I leaned in, closing my laptop, whispering to Leah.

She stared at him sceptically for a minute, "Unless his friends are sending something funny?"

"Bullshit, I'm the only funny friend he has."

"Then it's definitely hook-up guy." She agreed. "I wonder what they're texting about, most hook-ups only text when it's night-time."

"I know right." I nodded, "Now they're texting during the day. That's definitely blurring the lines."

"Oh, big time." She nodded too.

We both stared for a minute longer, trying to figure out how the text conversation was going before Ezekiel caught on. His gaze met ours and we looked away just a little too late.

"Don't you both have lives? Or d'you need me to go on Amazon and purchase ones for you?" he snapped.

I placed my hands up in defence, "We're curious!"

He narrowed his eyes, "Of what?"

"Hook-up guy." Leah finally said it. "What's his name?"

"I'm not telling you."

"Why not?!" Leah pouted. "He has to have a name."

"Yeah!" I pitched in. "We need to stalk this guy, maybe find his mom on Facebook?"

"And his dad on LinkedIn." Leah added. Oooo, how had I never thought of that one before?

Ezekiel's eyes widened as he pointed at me. "There's two of you now! Why are there two of you?!" he then pointed at Leah who sat there innocently smiling.

I never realised how nosey Leah could be. I mean, she literally broke into Knowles' apartment – be it she had a spare key – to try and catch up with him. However, it was nice having someone as curious as I was about things.

"I have no idea what you mean." I shrugged smugly and Leah followed.

"Yeah, us girls are only curious beings."

"Oh my God!" he threw his hands up in the air. "I am no longer texting in this kitchen." He stormed away.

Leah and I shared a look before we both broke out into laughter. "He's so defensive over this guy."

"Oh, he like likes him for sure." I agreed. "I've never seen Ezekiel so smiling over texting someone."

"I can imagine." She closed her laptop and walked over to the kitchen. "Want some juice?"

I answered, "Sure." And got back to my work.

I was still stuck on this presentation Professor Ellis had assigned our Philosophy class. In my opinion, it seemed very poorly put together. No structure? No guidelines? How was this supposed to work? And about emotions? Wasn't that more on the psychological side?

I'd emailed her a million times trying to find some sort of clue as to what she wanted but every time she came back with the same thing: do whatever feels right, Rya.

Whatever felt right? How was this an Ivy League professor I was talking to?

I'd been staring at a blank screen for ages, typing random words then deleting them. This was never going to work. I needed structure and until I found one, I wouldn't make any progress.