Chapter 5

"So that's what happened to Ursula," the Cat says, leaning over the podium towards Aegae.

"Yes," Aegae replies, irritated at the interruption.

"Interesting," the Cat says, eyes turning toward the jury box.

"Why didn't Ursula confirm Ariel's story?" the Godmother asks, exasperated. "She is not a stupid woman and she was highly favored by the king. He would surely have told her if such a high risk mission were true."

"Ariel is very charming and persuasive. She knows how to manipulate pretty much anyone to get what she wants," Tinkerbell says peering into Aegae's face. "Her sisters should hate her for all that she got from their father. He adores her and barely notices them. Yet, they love her as fiercely as he does. The entire kingdom is bewitched by Ariel. She could have easily convinced Ursula to help her."

"Was," Aegae says, haltingly. "She was very persuasive."

The clearing was quite for a moment before Maleficent clears her throat.

"I agree with Tinkerbell," Maleficent says. "Ariel was a master manipulator. She would have had no trouble convincing that fool Ursula."

Aegae's face reddens and her shoulders straighten.

"Poor unfortunate soul," the Cat says, shaking his head while watching Aegae. The girl obviously does not like having her story questioned. He grins wickedly and leans on the podium, playing with his walking stick. "So what happened next?"

"Mother was found on the beach," Aegae says.