Chapter 40

The clearing is so quiet and somber as Snick finishes his awful tale. Just as with Aegae's story, there are tears, sobs, cries, from those who are witnessing the story told by the one dwarf brother who made it out alive.

"I am sorry for the vast amount of hardship that your brothers and you have suffered, Master Snick," The Cat says. "I had no idea...I guess no one did. And that is the problem."

The Cat's ever present grin has a melancholy cast.

Snick nods. He doesn't accept or deny The Cat's apology. He just acknowledges that it happened. There are some things that apologies can't begin to fix. Things that apologies can't make better. And what has happened to Snick and his brothers, that is one of them.

The Cat turns to the jury. "What would you like to do? Are you ready to vote?"

The jurors are completely silent, unable to say anything in the face of such grief.

After several minutes of silence, The Cat nudges, "Perhaps you would like to save your decision until you have heard every petitioner?"

"Yes," the Godmother chokes out immediately after The Cat says it.

Tinkerbell just nods, the bells that she is named after jingling as she moves.

Maleficent is the final one to answer The Cat, though she doesn't do so until he calls her name. She seems deeply lost in thought and unable to focus on what is going on around her.

"Maleficent," The Cat calls.

She shakes herself and looks to The Cat, tears glistening in her eyes, but refusing to fall. "Yes. Agreed. Master Snick's story has merit and it is possible that he will win the Trials."

The Cat's smile is somewhat affectionate towards Snick. "Take your seat Master Snick. We will talk to you after we have heard the final petitioner.

"Thank you, Cat. I will pray that my case merits your intervention," Snick says before turning around and taking his seat.

"Next petitioner, please," The Cat calls.