Chapter 39

The plan was simple. The execution was not. Hiding the fact that they were saving water back was one thing. They weren't always around their buckets with the water was brought in. This meant that they would have to save even more back the next time that they got water.

That was another hard part. They got so little food and water to begin with that even saving a small portion was enough to take a toll on the dwarves. They were weak from lack of food. Dehydrated from lack of water. Even just the little bit that they saved rendered them even weaker, light headed, and sluggish.

But, eventually, they managed to save a good half bucket full by the time the next market day came.

"Are we sure that we want to do this? What happens if we're caught? They'll kill us!" Blick says, still pushing for the brothers to come up with a less risky plan.

"We'll die one way or another, Blick," Whick insists. "Whether we try to escape or not, we're going to die. Haven't you figured that out yet? They only need one of us to make this whole operation work. And they've got Glick under their thrall. They're just using us for whatever sadistic pleasure they get out of this."

Blick stares in shock at his younger brother before Snick adds to what Whick said.

"They could easily make an army of golems and use them to mine out the gems. The golems never tire, never need to eat, and never talk back. All the witches would have to do is make sure that they don't get wet. They are doing this just so they can kill us in whatever convoluted, evil way they can," Snick says, looking at his brother.

Blick blinks, needing time to process what his brother's have said. Then he nods. "Split the water between two buckets. Whick and I will splash the water into the golem's face. Snick will mess up its face so that it can't see us with a shirt attached to a pickaxe. We do it when it brings our first meal."

—-

The brothers make sure that they are working at a dead end in the tunnels so that they have the golem mostly surrounded, Whick and Blick on either side and Snick directly ahead. It wasn't uncommon for the little men to take their shirts off with the heat of their work, so Snick having his off wasn't uncommon. He sat, stooped over a large gem on the floor, acting as if he was doing the more delicate work of separating two gems from each other. It gave him a plausible excuse for having his shirt laid over his pickaxe.

When the brothers hear the heavy footsteps of the golem coming with the bucket of slop they are given for their meals, all three tense. Fear, determination, and resolve scent the air around them, preparing them for what they are about to do.

"Food," the golem growls out to them and it amazes them how they could have ever thought that this creature was human at all when it was pretending to be Snow White. Doesn't matter. They would be gone soon.

The brothers don't react. It's something that happens often enough. Words being spoken to them as they are absorbed in their work have a way of flowing past them. The sound of the pickaxe against the stone and dirt walls will drown them out. Or their general weakness from poor nutrition will make them unable to concentrate on the words that are said to them.

Today, the brothers all hear what the golem has to say, but they need it to come more into the tunnel, closer to where they are so that they can execute their plan.

The golem is under strict orders. Even though the dwarves aren't being fed well or often enough, they are still to eat all of the food that they are given so that they can continue their work. It is the golem's job to make sure that they do. It can't allow them to ignore the presence of food.

It lumbers further into the tunnel, speaking louder. "Food!"

Again, the brothers ignore it, pretending to be engrossed in the work that they are doing. They have to wait for the golem to be directly between Whick and Blick. Once it's there, they can splash it in the face from both sides. It will give them a better chance of stopping it.

When they don't respond, the golem takes several more steps into the tunnel and stands directly between Whick and Blick. "Fo - "

But the golem's word is cut off by Whick screaming, "NOW!"

Both Whick and Blick grab their buckets and prepare to throw it at the golem. Whick's bucket is thrown without a problem, the water inside it causing the golem to scream as part of its face begins to run, marring its eye and making the golem unable to see.

Unfortunately, Blick is a few seconds behind his brother. He doesn't have the bucket completely up before the golem's flailing hands hit the bucket, sending its contents all over the floor.

Which means that the golem can still see.

Snick steps up and musters all of his strength to push the golem to the ground and uses his shirt to wipe as much of the golem's face clean as he can.

It is disconcerting to see a being's face disappear, wiping itself clean, similar to wiping a child's face clean of dirt. But there isn't enough water, the clay not wet enough to completely erase the golem's other eye and it is still able to see. Still able to locate each of the brothers so that it can fight back.

Roaring from its half mouth, the golem throws Snick off of it. Snick hits the rock wall hard enough that the air rushes out of his lungs and his head becomes dizzy, his vision swimming in waves in front of his eyes.

"The slop!" one of his brothers yells. "Throw the slop!" Then there is the sound of the clay arms of the golem hitting flush, a hollow, thudding sound, and the cracking of a body against the dirt wall.

Snick forces himself to his feet, shaking his head to clear his vision. When everything comes swimming back into focus, he sees Blick crumpled against the wall opposite him. His eyes have rolled to the back of his head, lids closed. Blick isn't moving. Snick can't even tell if he's breathing.

A yelp of pain makes him turn his gaze towards Whick and the golem. Whick has managed to throw the slop at the golem, soaking it in the liquid in the bucket. He has a pickaxe and is trying to rip pieces off of the golem.

As Snick watches, the golem roars again, knocking the pickaxe out of his brother's hand and grabs Whick, picking him up over the golem's head.

Whick looks up and sees Snick staring at him, "Run, Snick! Get help!"

The golem looks as if it's about to throw Whick, but one of its arms has started to sag from being wet. It loses its grip on Whick and he falls to the ground.

The golem is between Whick and freedom and there's no way that Snick is going to be able to help him. Not and be able to gain his freedom. Not if he wants to save Glick.

Both brothers recognize this at the same moment. "Run!" Whick says, rolling out of the way of the golem's feet trying to smash down on his chest and grabbing another pickaxe.

Snick doesn't stay to see what happens to his brother. He doesn't check on Blick. He knows that his only chance of saving his brothers is for him to get out and find help.

He runs out of the cave and into the surrounding woods, hearing the roars and the golem and the cries of his brother behind him.