Chapter 10

Eric stayed in the cottage with Ariel for the first week. It wasn't until the third day that Ariel realized that Janni was there. Janni stayed in the barn, which had an extra room built specifically for her. She brought them meals, bathed and dressed Ariel, tended to Ariel's bruises, and mended the clothes that Eric tore.

Eric continued to force himself on Ariel. After being punched unconscious for the second time, she stopped fighting. She lay on the bed and allowed Eric to do whatever he wanted. That enraged him more than her fighting did. He beat her to get a reaction from her. By the end of the week, there was very little of Ariel's body that was not bruised. Eric left annoyed, muttering that when he came back, things had better be different.

Janni tried to talk to Ariel, but she did not respond. This did not stop Janni. She knew that Eric would quickly become tired of Ariel's despondency. She had to talk to Ariel and make her see sense.

So Janni talked while she cleaned. She talked while she cooked and while she bathed and dressed Ariel. She filled the silence with everything that she could think to tell Ariel: where she grew up, her favorite toy as a child, how she came to work for Nikolaus. She had become so used to hearing her own voice that she told Ariel things that she never told anyone: her first time with a man, the death of her infant son, the abuse by her father. She even told Ariel how Nikolaus had used Janni as a spy. Though Ariel did not talk for several days, she seemed to be listening. She started to help Janni clean and cook, silent but alert.

On the fourth day after Eric left, Ariel spoke for the first time. While scrubbing a pot, Ariel asked in a low voice, "Why did this happen?"

Janni was standing next to the sink, cutting onions for dinner. At first, she was too surprised to talk, but she quickly roused herself and said, "Nikolaus made a deal."

"But Nikolaus loves me!" Ariel said, raising her voice and scrubbing the pot harder. "How could he leave me here? How could he allow Eric to do this to me?" At this, Ariel threw the pot at the wall, sending it and a picture frame crashing to the floor. Glass shattered everywhere as the pot rolled from the kitchen through the bedroom door. Ariel lowered her head to the table and covered her head with her arms.

Janni put her cutting knife down and wiped her hands on her apron. She sighed as she turned and sat down beside Ariel. Smoothing Ariel's hair, Janni says, "Nikolaus is a great man. He saved me from my father, from poverty, and from the depression my son's death caused. But he will always look out for himself above anyone else. I'm sorry to tell you this, but he never loved you, child. You were a valuable commodity that he sold when he found something worth the price."

Ariel cried harder and Janni pulled her in to an embrace. She let Ariel cry until there were no more tears. Then she lifted Ariel's chin to look up at her. She placed her hands on both sides of Ariel's face and said, "Now that is done, you have to listen to me. You have to learn to please the prince. If you don't, he will kill you. And he will kill Nikolaus. But not before he tortures him. Eric is a truly horrible enemy to have."

Janni stopped speaking and shuddered. "Nikolaus did not tell Eric what you are. He didn't say what he knows of the merfolk. But Eric will find out if he goes after Nikolaus. There is no way Nikolaus will be able to stop himself."

Ariel's eyes widened and she sat up straighter.

"Not only is Eric cruel," Janni continued, "but he is power-hungry. He will go after your family. He will try to kill them. You have to stop him. You have to make him happy."

Ariel knew Janni was right. She had to convince Eric that she wanted him. She had to please him.

Eric came back to the cottage a week later. He found the cottage cleaned, lunch cooking, and Ariel dressed in a simple silk dress with her hair pulled away from her face. Her healing bruises were covered by make-up. She answered the door with a smile and graciously welcomed him into the house. Janni curtsied deeply and asked the prince if he would be joining Ariel for lunch. Eric was pleasantly surprised. He passed a pleasant afternoon with Ariel, eating and talking. After the meal was cleared, Ariel dismissed Janni and led Eric to the bedroom.

Eric stayed for the full week and reluctantly left Ariel behind. He came back frequently, bringing presents of jewelry, dresses, perfumes, and exotic fruits. But Ariel was not allowed to leave. Eric had stationed guards around the cabin and they followed Ariel and Janni whenever they left the cabin to walk in the woods. Ariel was a prisoner.

As time passed; however, Ariel began to look forward to Eric's visits. Other than Janni, Eric was the only person Ariel could talk to. Early on, she tried to convince herself it was that he broke up the monotony of her days. But eventually she began to recognize true feelings for Eric.

After being in the cottage for six months, Ariel found that she was pregnant. She wasn't sure how to tell Eric. Would he be pleased? Would he be angry? Obviously he would never be able to claim the child. Ariel's feelings about this child were mixed. But Janni's were not. She was ecstatic to have a child in the cottage. Janni immediately started knitting booties and sewing clothing.

Ariel waited to tell Eric until she could hide it no more. Ariel was four months pregnant when she finally worked up the courage to tell him. They were lying in bed, Ariel having just returned from the kitchen with a bottle of wine and two glasses. She lay with her back to Eric's chest as he stroked her arm, looking down at her naked body.

Chuckling, Eric said, "We are going to have to have Janni put you on a diet. You are gaining weight." He gently pinched her stomach. "Though I don't mind what the change has done to these," he said as he weighed one of her breasts in his hand. He ducked his head to catch her nipple in his mouth.

Ariel felt Eric harden against her back. She knew that if she didn't tell him now, she would lose her chance. He would become too distracted.

"Eric," she said, arching her back.

"Hmmm?" he said, reaching his hands between her legs.

"Eric," Ariel said, more urgently. "I have something to tell you."

"Go ahead," Eric said, kissing her neck as he moved his fingers back and forth.

"Eric!" Ariel said. "You have to listen. I'm pregnant."

Immediately, Eric stopped. He pulled his head and hand away from her. "What?" he said dully.

Ariel turned to face Eric. "I'm pregnant. I'm due at the end of the summer."

"Wow," Eric said distantly. He was not looking at her. "That's great...That's really great."

"Are you alright?" Ariel asked.

"Of course," Eric said, starting to get out of bed. "I just remembered. We have a diplomat coming from England today. I have to get back to the castle." He quickly began dressing.

"Oh," Ariel said, surprised. "Ok. When will you be back?"

"Uhm, I'm not sure," Eric said, still not looking at her. "A week, maybe two. I'll send a messenger so that you know."

"Ok," Ariel said as he gave her a quick kiss. "I love you."

"Yeah, love you, too," Eric called over his shoulder as he walked out of the room.

After that, Eric's weekly visits dwindled to once every two weeks, then once each month.