Chapter 18

The old man sits as erect as his back allows. Tears flow from his eyes as he clutches at his breast pocket. All is silent in the glen as Rumpelstilzchen relives his bittersweet memory of Marta.

Tinkerbell approaches the dias, looking into the man's face. "May I?" She reaches her hand out to Rumpelstilzchen. Slowly, painfully, his arthritic hands reach into his pocket and pull out a wooden ring. The wood has been rubbed smooth from frequent caresses and many of the carvings have worn away. But the edelweiss is still visible at the ring's apex. The ring is chipped in several places and its age is obvious in the cracks in the wood.

Tinkerbell pulls some pixie dust from her pouch and encases the ring in its glow. Immediately, the ring begins to change. The carvings re-etch themselves, the wood repairs itself, amber color flows over the ring, and the white of the edelweiss sparkles in the clearing.

Rumpelstilzchen sits forward in his seat. "It looks exactly the same as when I gave it to her." He holds out his hand and Tinkerbell places it in his hand.

"It will never change from the way it looks now. At least you can keep that much of your Marta with you," Tinkerbell murmurs. "I hope that this eases your pain somewhat."

Tears still in his eyes, Rumpelstilzchen looks into Tinkerbell's face. "Thank you, little one."

With a cheeky grin, Tinkerbell goes back to her seat. The Godmother pats her shoulder and Maleficent gives her an approving nod.

"Done, Bell?" the Cat asks, his ever-present grin turned indulgent.

"Yes, sir," she quips to him.

Turning back to Rumpelstilzchen, the Cat says, "Grandfather?"

Rumpelstilzchen had been staring at the ring in his hand until the Cat called him. "Yes?"

"Are you ready to continue?" the Cat prods.

"Of...of course." Rumpelstilzchen nods and places the ring back in his pocket. "Our marriage was wonderful, except we couldn't have children..."