Chapter 17

Vati drove the wagon to the family's new home, a short way from the cathedral. It was in the opposite direction of Marta's house, which disappointed Rumpelstilzchen. However, he quickly let go of his disappointment when he saw their new home. It was much larger than their old house, which had consisted of only one room. This house had two rooms on the main floor: one was the main room for cooking and daily living and the second was a bedroom for Their parents. There was also a second story loft space for the children to sleep.

No sooner had the family gotten out and started to unload the wagon, that several neighbors came to help. Several women clustered around Mama, cooing over the baby and telling her where to wash clothes, which stalls had the best meats and vegetables, and how to barter for essentials like soap and salt. Some men still home on their lunch break helped Vati to unload the wagon, talking about the foremen at the cathedral and the best bar for after work. Romy and Rumpelstilzchen hung near the wagon as they watched other children play in the spaces between the houses. They yelled for Rumpelstilzchen and Romy to join them and, with a nod from Vati, the two children ran to join the fun.

That night, Rumpelstilzchen lay on his mat and stretched his full length. He sighed in pleasure to have space to himself. It had been a long day, finishing the drive to town, moving in to their new house, and making some new friends. The family had eaten at a neighbor's house that night and were scheduled to eat at a different neighbor's house the next night. Rumpelstilzchen had made quick friends with two brothers named Alaric and Ivo, while Romy was enveloped by a gaggle of five girls.

The day had been full of wonder, change, and amazement, but the last image in Rumpelstilzchen's mind as he fell asleep was Marta's face as she laughed her tinkling bell laugh.

The family quickly settled into a routine. Mama woke early and cooked porridge for the family as they washed and dressed for the day ahead. Vati, Romy, and Rumpelstilzchen ate, then walked toward the cathedral. Vati went to work while the children went to school at the priory next door. As the children had parents in the working class, they were only educated in the basics of mathematics, reading, and writing. But the children had never been in school before and they were placed in classes with younger children to learn letters and numbers. It would have been embarrassing if the children weren't so thirsty to learn.

At noon, Vati met the children outside of the school and walked them back to the house for the mid-day meal. Mama and the baby would be waiting with food for them. After lunch, Vati laid down for the rest of the break, while the children played outside with their friends. Vati then went back to work at the cathedral and the children helped Mama with chores. Rumpelstilzchen collected firewood for the cooking fire, cared for the horses and the newly acquired chickens, and weeded the small garden behind the house. Romy helped with chores in the house, like cleaning, making dinner, and caring for the baby.

After Vati returned home, the family had the evening meal. Romy helped Mama clean up and then the children hurried outside. Romy ran to play with her friends and Rumpelstilzchen found Alaric, Ivo, and Marta.

Marta was the leader of Rumpelstilzchen's little band. The boys adored her and fulfilled whatever demand entered into her head. They explored the forest beyond the town, swam and fished in the river, ran through the market, and helped their fathers at the cathedral. The friends were rarely seen apart.

Rumpelstilzchen loved his time with Alaric and Ivo, but he never stopped thinking about Marta. She was effervescent and beautiful. Rumpelstilzchen knew, even at such a young age, that he loved her. And he thought she might feel the same for him. She held his hand on their excursions, gave him the choicest sweets from her basket, and asked his opinion first. He knew that Marta was the one for him.