Chapter 7

The next day, Nikolaus brought a middle-aged man to Ariel. He was dressed in extravagant clothes. His black hair was shot through with gray and he had a day's worth of growth on his cheeks and chin. The man was tied to a chair and gagged. His eyes were wide with panic and he struggled against his bonds. Ariel was afraid, but she had to prove to Nikolaus that she was a mermaid.

"Take off the gag," she said. "Make him drink this." Ariel handed Nikolaus the vial.

Nikolaus took off the gag and the man began screaming. Nikolaus back-handed the man and he instantly stopped. Nikolaus grabbed the man's face and pinched his nose shut. When the man opened his mouth, Nikolaus forced the potion down his throat.

Instantly the man began screaming. His body started to convulse. Slits opened in the side of his neck to create gills. His skin changed to a pale green. His ears curled into themselves and his teeth sharpened to points. Finally, his legs appeared to split open at the sides and zip themselves into a tail. At the end of the transformation, he lay gasping on the floor. Without water, he was suffocating. Nikolaus watched as the merman's body seized and finally went still. He was dead.

Nikolaus looked at Ariel, shocked and delighted. He finally believed her.

It was later that Ariel found out that the man was a rival merchant. With his death, Nikolaus became the wealthiest trader in Copenhagen.

Ariel had no idea the type of man for which she had become human. Nikolaus was ambitious, clever, and ruthless. Those who served him were fiercely loyal and those who hated him lived in fear. Nikolaus was the youngest and most successful merchant in the city. He got to that position by any means he deemed necessary, whether it was by making honest deals, sinking his rivals' ships, or killing difficult tradesmen. All that mattered to Nikolaus was that he got his way.

Nikolaus saw a way to use Ariel. Her intimate knowledge of the sea, the winds, and fishing waters gave him an undeniable advantage in the market. Nikolaus knew that Ariel was in love with him. He just had to keep her happy, make her think that he loved her too, and he could get anything that he wanted.

So Nikolaus took Ariel shopping, showed her off at fancy parties and restaurants, and taught her how to be a human lady. He plied information from her with gifts, kisses, and empty promises of love eternal. Ariel had no idea. To her mind, this was how life had always been. She had always gotten what she wanted in her father's kingdom. Why would the human world be any different?

Ariel rarely spent time alone. Throughout much of the day, while Nikolaus worked, Janni was with Ariel. Janni had been brought into Ariel's confidence and knew that Ariel was a mermaid. Nikolaus had assured Ariel that she could trust Janni. She helped Ariel to dress, to read and write, and learn human manners and niceties. Janni also spied on Ariel. Nikolaus told Ariel that she could trust Janni to get her to open up. He wanted all of the information he could get. For her part, Ariel missed the companionship of her sisters and wanted a friend desperately. Thinking that she was bonding with Janni, Ariel willingly told her about Triton's kingdom, his duties to Poseidon, and the powers of the merpeople. Janni dutifully reported everything back to Nikolaus.

At night, Nikolaus and Ariel would dine together and attend balls, parties, the opera, and the theater. Then they would retire to Nikolaus's bedroom for the night. Nearly all of Ariel's waking hours were consumed with thoughts of Nikolaus and he made sure to nurture this.

As a human, Ariel was the same ravishing beauty that she was as a mermaid. Nikolaus loved the look and feel of her, even though he did not love her. He dressed her in gowns with plunging necklines, favoring deep purples, greens, and royal blues. She was spectacular and many men wanted her on their arm. Nikolaus allowed her to be escorted to the opera or a party by other men when it gave him an advantage. Janni always accompanied Ariel on these outings, reporting everything back to Nikolaus. It was through Ariel's naiveté that Nikolaus learned of new trade routes, bankruptcies, and sales. Ariel was turning out to be more profitable than Nikolaus had imagined.

That all changed when Nikolaus took Ariel to a ball at the palace. It was the annual Spring Ball and Nikolaus had bought Ariel a new dress patterned with seashells, a pearl choker, pearl earrings, and a pearl tiara. It almost reminded Ariel of her pearls at home. Thoughts of home always depressed Ariel and she threw herself into dancing, drinking, and flirting to keep them at bay.

At the ball, Nikolaus encouraged Ariel to dance with any man that asked. He talked with palace officials, foreign dignitaries, and highborn gentlemen, all the while watching the men watch Ariel. He had never dreamed that she would make so many connections for him. That was when Prince Eric entered the ball.

Eric was a tall, lean man of twenty-five. He was not especially handsome, but had an ease and a charm that made people flock to him. Eric's shoulder-length black hair was tied in a white bow at the nape of his neck and he wore a splendid dress uniform of gold, blue, and white.

The prince made his way around the room, greeting guests and exchanging a few words here and there, making his way to his throne. That was when the prince saw Ariel. She was dancing with the son of a duke, laughing and smiling. Nikolaus saw the prince's face change and the desire creep across his face. Nikolaus smiled to himself. He now had a bargaining chip with the prince.

At the end of the song, Nikolaus took Ariel's hand and led her to get a drink. All the while, the prince watched Ariel. He dispatched his page to request that Nikolaus and Ariel join him. Nikolaus was delighted and Ariel was ecstatic. Though she loved Nikolaus dearly, as well as the life that he had given her, she missed being around royalty. The level of breeding, education, and manners of a royal could not be duplicated in more common folk. Even someone like Nikolaus. To be around her kind again, at least in some small part, might help to ease the feeling of homesickness she'd had for so long.

The page introduced Ariel and Nikolaus and they bowed deeply. Eric's eyes were only on Ariel when he told them to rise. This wasn't new to Ariel and she paid little attention to it. But Nikolaus watched in great anticipation as the prince led Ariel to the dance floor and danced with her throughout the night.

Sometime later, Ariel left for the powder room. Eric took Nikolaus aside.

"How is Ariel connected to you? I don't see an engagement ring. Do I need to watch out for toes to step on?" Eric said, the tightness of his eyes belying his light tone.

"Oh, no," Nikolaus said, laughing. "No, she is my father's ward."

Eric's face relaxed and he smiled easily at Nikolaus.

"She is the daughter of one of my father's oldest and dearest servants. Her parents died several years ago and my father took it upon himself to raise her as his own. She is visiting with me until the fall," Nikolaus said.

Ariel returned and Eric led her onto the dance floor again.

At the end of the night, Eric returned Ariel to Nikolaus. "Mister Frederiksen, I would very much like to speak with you about your trade routes and contacts. They could be of great benefit to our navy. How does tomorrow sound?" Eric said, eyes still on Ariel.

"Perfect, your highness. We will eagerly await your arrival," Nikolaus said, smiling at the prince as he tucked Ariel's hand in his arm and led her out of the palace.